DIY Plant Bench in 1 Hour

$12

I was invited to co-host One Hour DIY this week! This was an opportunity to show a quick and fun project you can do in about 1 hour. I considered doing a stencil or colorblock wall, but wanted to try something a bit ambitious. And I say ambitious only because this was my first attempt at woodworking! This would be easy peasy if you have previous experience.

Cut the two boards

Cut the 2" x 6" x 8 ft common board in half. These two ~4 ft pieces will become the top of the bench. If needed, make additional cuts to get them to the same length.

Cut the 2" x 4" x 8 ft common board into four 6" pieces and four 15.5" pieces. These will be made into legs. Again, make adjustments to get them to be the same length, if needed.

This is what you will have by the end of this step:

Put the leg pieces together

Take two 15.5" and two 6" pieces and make a rectangle. Attach them together with construction screws.

Attach the legs to the bench top

Place the two 4 ft boards side by side on the ground. Place each leg 1" from the edges. You can adjust the legs to be closer together if you'd like. Screw in the legs to the bench top.

The Final Product

The finishing touches didn't happen in the 1 hour timeframe, but I plan to sand, stain, and seal the bench on another day. This project is definitely doable in an hour, if not less for a more seasoned woodworker. The best part is that my plants finally have a central location to soak up the sunshine!

Head over to my blog post for additional details and sources and follow along on Instagram for future projects!

• Maura

Really nice and well built for plants I like it as a seat...

• Heena - Bean & Gardn

Yes, exactly! I changed it up and decreased the depth to fit in front of the window. You'd definitely want it to be deeper for a sitting bench. I explained how this plant bench differs from the original tutorial on my blog! Thank you both for reading.

• Donna

How much did the supplies cost

• Tonya

Beautiful idea! Nice and sturdy! Great job!!!

• Teresa Stephenson

Yes I will have to try this project but I’m going to make mine a little smaller to fit on top of 3 drawer dresser. I’m also going to sand, stain and paint everything before putting it together. I will definitely follow you for future projects.