Help with bedroom door

HeatherWilliamKen Erickson
+9

Ok I have a video to show my problem and what I didn't show in video I tried putting the latch plate back on and we'll since the door not lefted enough where it should be the door handle latch doesn't even meet to go directly into the hole!! So that's another problem!!yeah yeah!! Ok well for some reason my video not accept to add to this help me message!!! So I don't know what too do atleast for now I kept the inner door frame from completely falling off!!

• Cynthia H

Hi! I hate rehanging doors because they never seem to want to go back in place for me! But, this article has helped me hang them and get everything to line up. Still not crazy about doing it, but, this did help!

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/how-to-hang-a-door/

• Ah so frustrating! There’s a lot not working in your favor here with an older, likely out of square house. Try getting the guy to come back and give it another whirl.

• Heather

Yes called the landlord and sent him a video showing him what's going on!!!

• Deb K

Hey Heather, was it closing properly before you took it off? If so, this video should help you out, there really is a technique to it, hope it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kM2kWs4sPM

• Tim

Your last photo would indicate that this is a split jamb door. Did the gap close up before the "maintenance" guy messed with it? If not the 4-9/16" jamb is not wide enough for the finished wall. You said this is an older home so it probably has plaster walls which are thicker than conventional walls.

I would take the whole door unit out and start over but I'm a carpenter with 40 years experience. You could try shimming behind the bottom hinge which will push the door closer the jamb and up. If that doesn't correct the strike plate situation take one screw out of the top hinge (pick one near the inside of the hinge) and run a 3" screw into the hole. The screw will bear into the framing in the wall and pull the door up and towards the jamb.

What I described are methods for moving the door in a securely installed jamb.

Your mileage may vary

• Heather

Thanks for all ur input!! When I replace 3 screws that holds the door on the screws where much longer then the ones placed in and the new screws went into the inner wood witch them alone held up the door,but not enough to lift up the door so it can latch and the door still drags a bit on carpet.witch before the inner door frame was falling off the door did not drag on carpet. Even though still never latched closed like a door should!

Like another person commented on asking yes the former door & frame was wider!

I'm only having these problems with two newly door frames and doors ones that face North/South! The other two newly doors and frames that face east)west do not have these problems.

When the door frame was falling off crumbles of stuff fell onto the floor.

So yeah I agree not sure if it was u that stated this that the hole door framing needs to be taken down and do something to the inner door way framing!!

• Ken Erickson

The hinge side of the door must be plumb. Remove trim and get shims in place to make it plumb. Then the top and latch sides need to be level and plumb to get an even reveal around the door. You may need to shorten the latch side to get everything to fit. Having an old house is not an excuse that a handyman should be able to use.

• Heather

Yes completely agree was very disappointed!! This guy has been doing more focus of my landlords brand new housing project. So guessing when it comes too old homes well he had a hard time. I do remember that he had to go outside number of times to recut the doors and framing!!

Try shimming the bottom hinge on the frame side and not the door. If the door has three hinges the the bottom and center hinge need to be shimmed. The gap all around should be even. If that doesn't solve the problem then the door frame is not plumb and would need to be shimmed.

• Heather

Thanks to everyone helpful comments and landlord sent over a guy and done just that the shimming!