How to label contents in storage bins that aren’t transparent?

HomeroadKmdreamerMaura White
+21

Thank you everyone for the great ideas and suggestions. I’m going to go ahead and assign a # to each, and attach GOOD QUALITY-HIGH TEMP suitable labels to the containers, along with a brief description of its contents. Then I’ll create an itemized list of each #’d bin. That should hopefully do the trick. 🙏🏻😬

Thanks again!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I love using my label maker for this!

• Cheryl A

I just typed up contents on my computer and then printed it off- that way I could make it as large as I wanted then using packing tape to tape to the container lid and to the side and I know what's in each bin.. I used things like: Taxes, Medical Bills with the date, winter clothing, purses, etc.

• Type the contents and print out on large self-stick labels.

• Nan W.

Maureen: maybe something like this would work:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/temperature-rated-labels

• Morgan McBride

I'd use tape and write on it with a marker

• Em

Try a Brother t-touch label maker.

• Redcatcec

Write or print out the contents and put it in a clear plastic folder, tape into place where it is best for you. The plastic folder will protect from moisture.

• Mogie

A label maker is a must. The ultimate tool for me when it comes to organizing.

• Ken Erickson

I bought a Dymo label maker. It comes with a 1/2" wide white tape and prints out letters, numbers, and many symbols. Type in what you want, press print, and then cut the tape. The backing is split down the middle and peels off easily. Then just press the tape onto the outside of the bin. Replacement tape is fairly cheap. Each roll is 13' long, so you get a lot of labels. I'm not sure if there are other colors. I always use the white tape.

• Johnavallance82

.Hello Maureen,

Use Paper labels or label machine or Sharpie Pens. Hope that helps!

• Flipturn

Yes, I know the frustration of peel/stick, from a Label Maker, or Dymo sticky back labels, that do not stay stuck on plastic storage bins.

Put a large piece of good quality clear packing tape, or clear Duc brand tape over top of the typed peel/stick label, after you have positioned it on the plastic bin. Rub over the clear tape to help it stick in the heat.

• Vimarhonor

Duct tape and sharpie, p touch,, cricut vinyl or computer printouts with clear shipping tape seal might be options.

• Patty

Do not use labels, they peel off. Get white or bright yellow Duct tape. Use a broad Sharpie, right large so you can see at a distance.

• Flipturn

The disadvantage of writing directly on the bins with a marker is that when the contents of the bin are changed, you then have the bin labelled incorrectly.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I use the 2"x3" labels, similar to what people wear for name tags. No issues with them falling off. You can also get a label maker. If they are going to be permanent, you can use a paint marker or sharpie.

• Kathy Gunter Law

They are peel & stick so I just stick them on the side. I usually label all 4 sides because I never know which way they will be put on a shelf or stacked in the attic. If you have issues with them sticking, you could also buy some packing slip label pockets and write on a plain piece of paper to drop inside. They are a stronger adhesive and designed to withstand a lot of abuse.

Hi Maureen: What I do is write what the contents are on a piece of paper and then stick a piece of transparent packing tape over it, so that I can see the writing, leaving about an inch or more of tape sticking out on each side and a bit on the top. Then stick it to the bin. If you need more than one piece of tape to cover the paper, then just use more tape to cover the paper, as above, only letting some of the tape hang over the bottom to stick it to the bin. Good luck

• Maura White

cardstock and packing tape!

• Kmdreamer

Just put a piece of paper on the front or use a sharpie write what’s inside Clorox cleanup takes off sharpie.

• Homeroad

You can buy letters at the craft store and make your own labels.