Asked on Jul 5, 2020

How do i change a main shut off valve. It just keeps spinning?

Michael SteinhourLifestyles HomesMogie


13 answers
  • Ken Erickson
    on Jul 5, 2020

    Is this a main water shutoff valve? The handle may be what is spinning and you are not actually moving the valve. Try tightening the nut that holds the handle onto the valve stem. Turn clockwise to close. If the handle moves with the screw tightened, then maybe you should take off the handle and turn valve stem with pliers to see if it moves.

    To change the valve you will need to shut off water supply at street and bleed pressure off at a sink. I would recommend getting a ball valve as a replacement. Those valves only turn 90 degrees and are not susceptible to mineral deposits and seat washer damage.

  • Deb K
    on Jul 6, 2020

    Hi Rebel, you didn't specify what the main shut off was for, water? gas? propane?

  • Cindy
    on Jul 6, 2020

    Hi Rebel. If you are talking about a water shut off valve, you may want to call your village for a shut off.

  • Rebel Lakis
    on Jul 6, 2020


  • William
    on Jul 6, 2020

    Check if it's the handle that is stripped and turning. If it's the valve then the water department should replace it since the water supply at the street needs to be turned off.

  • Em
    on Jul 6, 2020

    If you are talking about the shut off inside of your house on the side of the meter that supplies your water you are most likely responsible. You will have to have the water shut off outside at the curb stop. There is a tool that turns off the valve underground. Many plumbers have these. Ask the plumber before he comes otherwise you may have to pay for and additional service call. Once the water is off outside you can replace the valve. Should you have a pipe burst or leak and your inside valve is NOT working you are in big trouble so have it replaced now.

  • Deb K
    on Jul 6, 2020

    Hey Rebel, here's a video on how to change the water shut off valve in your house

    hope it helps you

  • Mogie
    on Jul 8, 2020

    Where I live everything from the meter (which is located about 1/4 mile away) back towards the street is the responsibility of the water company and everything from the meter forward to the house is the customer's responsibility.

  • Lifestyles Homes
    on Jul 11, 2020

    Yes, learn whose valve it is.

  • Michael Steinhour
    on Jul 11, 2020

    You will most likely need to hire someone for this. If its the main shutoff from the meter to the house it shod only turn so far before it stops. If you somehow over torched it and stripped past the stop then you have to turn the water off on the other side of the meter and replace it. Its labor intended probably shoot be attempted by a do it yourself er. I mean no disrespect whatsoever. I have done this before a few times and it can get quite complicated depending how deep it is and what's around the area. If you rupture the line on the city side you have a big problem that will get expensive very quick. Kinda same for the line on your side of the meter as well. Things can get costly very fast. Good luck

Your comment...