What size is residential gas service line?

Cynthia HCindyKmdreamer
+10

What is the typical diameter for a residential natural gas service line, when using PE to replace black pipe? I'm in Oklahoma City, fwiw, and I believe my existing service pipe is 1". The meter also uses 1" pipe I believe.

Thanks!

• From what I've read, 3/4 inch.

• Em

In all cases, a near 200,000 BTU gas appliance will require a minimum of a ¾-inch gas supply line. In specific conditions a ½-inch gas line may be used.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I’m not sure replacing gas lines is a handy person sort of job. Very dangerous.

• Ken Erickson

You need to hire a certified gas contractor. The natural gas company is probably responsible for the pipe between street and meter.

• Oliva

I agree with Frugal Times. I'd check with your gas supplier before proceeding, as they may prohibit work being done by a homeowner. You may also need to determine if a permit is required for work done by anyone other than the utility company. It's difficult to imagine this work would not necessitate an inspection/approval.

You need a pro to replace the main line from the meter to the home. Your gas supplier can advise you. Also permits may be required as there would be a pressure leak test needed to pass code. This is really not a DIY project. Check with you gas supplier and building department.

• Deb K

Hello AidanGrano, I think the standard size is 1 inch to the meter and 3/4 inch inside the residence, hope this helps you

• Mogie

Please get someone that knows how to do this and has done this many times before. About a 100 miles away an entire apartment complex was leveled when someone was doing some "homemade improvements".

• Tom Stuart

For most DIY projects you can follow YouTube or Google instructions and do a pretty good job. Not with gas. If you make a mistake it can lead to disaster. I do practically all of my home repairs but not for gas.

Call a qualified technician.

• Kmdreamer

You should call the gas company and make shure because you don’t want leaks or you could even google it for your town and area

• Cindy

Hi Aidan. I agree with the comments above. This is a job for a professional.

• Cynthia H

For legal and safety reasons, gas lines should only be worked on by a licensed contractor. Good luck and stay safe!