Porch Swing Takes a New Life as a Hammock...

$100

Ah such great talks and sweet memories created on these old porch swings. Even our most beloved treasures, however, eventually outlive their usefulness. So we moved the swing onto a wooded area. And rarely sat in it for twenty years.

When my daughter Cindy was visiting, we brainstormed about how to upgrade the old swing for casual living. The simplest idea turned out to be the best. After just a few hours I was enjoying my first nap in the woods. Here's how:

Disassemble the old porch swing: seat and A brace

It was time to disassemble this creaky old swing and figure out what to do with it. I had purchased a high-end chair-type hammock a few years ago and let it dangle mid-frame for a while. No one used it. It was not as fun or comfortable as it looked.

I knew I needed something with more support, constructed more like a sling in a director's chair, yet with cushy expanding comfort.

We concluded that the brace of the A ought to support some outdoor upholstery material and be just about the right distance from the ground if done right.

OK... Let's give it a shot!

Measure outdoor upholstery material: 3 yards was plenty

We took off the braces and laid out the fabric.

Pin a hem to fit over the wooden braces

Cindy pinned the hems with safety pins so we could test it in place a couple times. We decided to make it as tight as possible to provide extra support.

Stain and tighten the old frame

The frame was in incredible shape considering its age. I stained it with a semi-transparent grey to blend into the pine bark and tightened up the bolts. Good as new!

Sew hem both sides, double stitch (zigzag and straight)

Cindy used heavy duty upholstery thread two rows of stitches per hem. We decided to leave the fray for casual charm.

TIP: Cellophane over old wood slips easily in and out of hem

Old wood can snarl and pull the fabric. Rather than sand it, Cindy thought to wrap cellophane over it. Great idea! It also made the gathering easier.

Reattach to frame

Simple to reattach the bolts.

Test it out

Just right!

AH! Perfect!

Here's Cindy reclining in comfort. Right after this pic was snapped, she sewed four pillow envelopes, in about an hour, with the leftover fabric. We can use extra pillows to tie this fresh color into furniture on the decks as well...

Meanwhile, I quickly fell asleep on this hammock enjoying the wind through the pines in full comfort.

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers

• Diane Molkentine

How do you keep it clean; free of sap, needles, bugs etc..?

• Ellis

I love this project. One question: How do you keep birds from perching on the top rail and leaving their calling card on your hammock?

• Adele DuranGO

Birds prefer a narrower perch, not one the width of a log as this one is. And they tend to perch where there is food below. There are plenty better spots for them, so that's where they go. So far, no calling cards.