DIY Renter-Friendly Old Vinyl Floor Makeover

$75

I recently gave my tiny entryway (it’s only 3ft x 3ft) a makeover to brighten it up - I was liking the changes I had done except that now the old vinyl flooring was standing out like a sore thumb. It was just begging for a new look!

Cutting Ram Board

Brainstorming ideas on how I could do this in a renter friendly way, I thought about the ram board that I used to create a dramatic textured black wall in my bedroom. It's meant to be used to protect floors during construction so it's very sturdy. Since the rolls are three feet wide, I would be able to cover the entire entryway floor with one piece. 

Painting the Ram Board

After cutting the ram board, I painted it with a coat of paint and primer combined that I had leftover from my office makeover. And because this will be on the floor in a high traffic area, I added two coats of floor paint in a light Arctic gray color. I found out the hard way that it's very important for that first coat of paint to have some primer in it. Otherwise, putting the "floor" paint directly on the ram board may cause it to dent or warp in some areas. 

Making the Compass Rose Design

After letting the paint dry overnight, it was time to tackle the compass rose design. I considered painting it but it would have taken me hours to get it just right, so I was happy to try out the Cricut Maker machine to make this part of the project go a lot quicker and easier.

Use Cricut Maker Machine

It's so much fun to watch the machine cut everything so precisely and quickly. It only took minutes to cut both the dark and light pieces for my compass rose.

Painting the border

In comparison to the compass rose, this took me way longer to do having to tape and do several coats of the paint. Plus you can see that the edges were far from perfect and needed lots of touching up.

Installing the New Floor

To secure the cardboard to the vinyl flooring, I used the same removable double sided tape that I used for my bedroom project. 

Place carpet double sided tape

I also placed strips of removable double sided carpet tape in the middle of the floor, to make sure that the cardboard didn't lift off the floor. I chose this tape because it's very thin and won't make any indentation in the cardboard. 

Remove Tape Backing

I removed the tape backing only at the front edge initially to make it easier to line up. 

Adding Black to the Compass Rose Design

As I was admiring this new floor, I started thinking that having some black to the compass rose design would make it stand out a lot more. It only took minutes to reload the cricut maker machine and cut the new triangles in black.

Large Triangles

After doing just the large triangles I felt like that was enough black so I decided to go with this version.

Thin Line

I also made the thin line of my border black but instead of painting, I used vinyl tape to make this part go quicker. 

Sealing the Floor

The last step to protect the floor was to add two coats of glossy polyurethane. It gives such a nice sheen to the floor, and it also sealed around all of the edges of the vinyl pieces, so I can Swiffer the floor without having to worry about any of the pieces coming off.

Finished Floor

What a difference from the original floor! and while I did like the two color Compass Rose, I much prefer the one with the black - I find it adds a lot more life and dimension to the design. 

You can watch the entire project in this video and go to my blog to get additional details.

20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Engineer Your Space

• Ellen

What is ram board

• Shirl

Ram Board is a top provider of temporary floor protection products for contractors, remodelers and flooring professionals. Proper floor protection during construction reduces potential damage to new or existing floors. Ram Board’s temporary floor covering protects from scratches, spills, dents and more.

• Benesse

How is the black border tape holding up? How do you clean this area?

• Gina

What about floors that may have a deal? Do you use same tape used bu professionals to seam it together and they just took it up when done protecting the floor? It's the brown tape they suggest when having to layer it on larger size floors and the reuse the

• Dina

How is it holding up? Do you think this would work in a bathroom?

• Kevin

You did a great job!

inexpensive peel and press vinyl floor tiles are a great way to fix up a kitchen, etc. on the cheap.

For a rental or a low budget reno the low price tiles can not be beat.

• Jekorb

I love this nautical design! Wish I could do this myself——or hire someone to do it. Gorgeous!👍🏻👍🏻💖