String Together a DIY Teepee Tent With Twinkle Lights

$20

Looking for a magical space to sit and read a book? This DIY twinkle light teepee tent is the perfect project for you! Highly customizable, this DIY tent is perfect for both kids and adults alike. Add faux greenery to bring the outdoors inside, or plant vines near it outside and watch them grow. Crawl inside your teepee and cozy up with a good book and a cup of tea, or watch your children’s imaginations run wild as they play inside, the possibilities are endless. Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to make one today!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Tape measure
  • Drill
  • Marker
  • Bamboo
  • Twine
  • Bobby pin
  • String lights
  • Faux vines

Drill Holes in the Bamboo

Drill Holes in the Bamboo

I already had my bamboo precut to about 5 feet long. It will end up standing slightly shorter than the length of the bamboo, so make sure to take that into account when determining how to cut your wood. I measured and marked approximately seven inches down from the top of each piece of bamboo. This will be where I drill holes to connect the bamboo pieces together to form a teepee. 

Drill

Then I drilled a hole into each piece of bamboo.

Assemble the Teepee

Assemble the Teepee

Tip:

Thread the twine through a bobby pin to make it easier to thread the twine through the holes in the bamboo. This trick is also useful if the drawstring on your sweatpants or sweatshirt gets stuck inside of it.

Thread Twine Through the Bamboo

I threaded the twine through the first piece of bamboo and tied it in a knot around it. Then I threaded it through the next piece of bamboo and repeated the process. 

Weave Twine Through the Bamboo

I continued, repeating the same process on all of the pieces of bamboo.

Continue Wrapping

Then I went back and wove the twine over and under all of the bamboo three to five times to make sure that they were all connected. I didn’t do it too tightly because I want to have a little wiggle room when standing the teepee up.

Stand the Teepee Up

Stand the Teepee Up

For this part you need to place the teepee where you want it to live and space out the legs of the teepee until you’re happy with it.

Tighten

Then I tightened the twine and continued weaving it in and out of the tops of the bamboo until I was happy with it. I tied it off and was ready to decorate.

Add Twinkle Lights

Add Twinkle Lights

Before I could start decorating I needed to determine which part would be the door of my teepee. I made sure that the door was a bit wider than other legs of the teepee to allow people to easily enter and exit it. Then I started wrapping my twinkle lights around the legs, wrapping them around each leg once or twice and then connected them to the next leg. Make sure not to do this to the entrance of the teepee.

Wrap Twinkle Lights

Once I got to the doorway I went back the way I came, working my way up the entire teepee. 

Continue Wrapping Twinkle Lights

A really fun decor idea for this teepee is to place it outside and plant vining plants around it. They will climb up the teepee, creating a magical leafy teepee! I have one that lives outside in my pumpkin patch and I love how organic it looks.

Fully Wrapped with Twinkle Lights

Add Vines

Add Vines

Using some faux vines I wrapped the teepee again to add some greenery. I wove them up and down the teepee until I was happy with how it looked. 

DIY Teepee Tent

How enchanting! What would you use your twinkling vine teepee for? Let me know in the comments below!

Lizzi

• Jennifer

Where did you buy the bamboo?

• Lizzi
      Just now

Hi Jennifer! my bamboo is from a forest across the street from my home, however I believe it can be ordered online or found at a nursery or green house! hope this helps!

• Peggy

That’s is so cute. I would say it looks like a tent that would attract fairies. Like a fairy garden. At least that’s would I would tell my granddaughter. So beautiful and creative. Have a picnic read a book. Very creative😁

• Flipturn

To define the interior space more, I would put the teepee on top of a cozy rug the same circumference.