Skip the Store and Make Your Own Homemade Chalk Paint

$10

I love how chalk paint looks, but it’s not cheap. There are a few ways to create your own chalk paint, and in my tutorial today I’ll show you how I make mine! It only takes four ingredients and is fully customizable, so you can make the exact color you’ve been looking for. I’m using mine to paint an old medicine cabinet door and turn it into a cute memo board for my daughter, but you can use yours on any project you would usually use chalk paint on. Follow my step-by-step tutorial to get started making your own chalk paint today!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Water
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Measuring cups
  • Latex paint
  • Dye
  • Paint brush
  • Paper towel
  • Cabinet door
  • Permanent marker

Make the Paint

Make the Paint

Making the paint is pretty easy, you just need to follow this simple recipe. 

Homemade Chalk Paint Recipe:

• ½ cup of water
  • ½ cup plaster of Paris
  • ¾ cup latex paint
Mix

Mix the three ingredients together until it comes back to the consistency of paint. 

Add Dye

Then I colored the paint with dye. When using dye, always start with less than you think you need. You can always add more, but it’s quite difficult to dilute color once you’ve added it. Mix well so that it’s one consistent color. 

Mix Completely

That’s all you need to do to create your own homemade chalk paint! Now let’s put it to use!

Paint

Paint

Once I had created my desired color, I got to painting! My daughter loves pink so I used an old medicine cabinet door to create a cute little memo board for her. I painted one coat of the paint and left it to dry before adding a second coat.

Tip:

To keep your paint from spoiling, cover it with a wet paper towel. This will stop it from forming a skin or hardening while you wait for the first coat to dry.

Paint with DIY Chalk Paint

Then I added a second coat of paint and left it to dry once again

Embellish

Embellish

Once my paint was dry I added a T at the bottom for my daughter’s name, Tilly!

Homemade Chalk Paint

How adorable is this memo holder? I’m sure my daughter will love it! How would you use your homemade chalk paint? Let me know in the comments below!

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss

• Lovinmypups

So do you buy your latex paint in the color that you need and then when adding the dye you are just adjusting the color to your exact need? Or do you buy white latex paint then add the dye of your choosing? Do you get Latex/Primer in one paint?

• Sandy Haggerty-rodriguez

What kind of dye

• Cinzia Farley

Can one put unused paint into a jar and store it in the refrigerator? I have several gallons of latex paint left from painting my walls. I want to make some chalk paint for future projects. Skipping the dye by using tinted latex.

• Mary Coakley

thanks for the recipe.the.paint.looks great

• Mandy

How wonderful thanks for sharing I will be having some fun makingind Thanks again.

• Lovinmypups

So this will not adhere to any surface without prep? This will not dry to a rock hard surface? So if I want to paint glass, I usually clean it with alcohol and once dry all I do is start painting. Can I not do that with this mixture?