Scrap Fabric Bowl-DIY

$2

A friend had given me a shoe box full of postage stamp-size squares cut from vintage fabrics. Now to find just the right project. Rather than stitch them together, I decided to layer and stiffen them into a scrap fabric bowl.

Have you ever had something so long that you don’t even notice it anymore? It’s been quite some time since I crafted a project using liquid fabric stiffener. Actually, it’s been years. While tossing out some bottles of dried up adhesives my eyes finally registered a couple bottles of fabric stiffener. They were so old I was sure they would be dried up. Nope. Great consistency and no smell. Perfect!

A variety of blue fabric squares were chosen for the scrap fabric bowl.

I found a bowl in my cupboards to use as a mold. To protect my work surface (a cookie sheet), I covered it with a sheet of parchment paper. The bowl was placed upside down on the cookie sheet and the outside of the bowl was covered with plastic wrap.

I poured the stiffener in a small bowl and added a handful of fabric squares. After letting them soak for a few minutes, I squeezed out the stiffener and completely covered the outside of the bowl with a layer of squares.

Each square was smoothed out with my fingers, turned in different directions and overlapping each other. Warning: It’s messy, but worth it.

Since this layer would be the inside of the scrap fabric bowl, each square was placed face down so that the right side would be showing when the bowl was turned right side up. Two new layers were added facing right side up.

Then it was time to let it dry. I don’t know about you, but I’m an impatient crafter. I like results right now. I figured with all the fabric layers it could take a day or more to dry.

No, no, no!

I set my oven to a warming temp and placed the cookie sheet inside. The scrap fabric bowl was rock hard 3 to 4 hours later. Something to note…if you try this method of drying, don’t set your temp any higher than a food warming temp. You do not want to melt the plastic wrap or brown the fabric edges.

Peel the scrap fabric bowl off of the bowl used for a mold. To help loosen the hold, I inserted a butter knife between the bowls. Once released from the mold, I used household scissors to trim the edges. It’s thick and hard, so don’t use your good fabric scissors or you will be very, very unhappy.

Check out more scrap fabric projects on the blog.

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Cyndee~Restyled-Junk

• Kathryn

do you leave the plastic on it? Or does that come off when you take it out of the bowl?

• Crumly

I have the same questions everybody else has. How can you clean this. With soap and water? I would think this wouldn’t be good. So what can you use the bowl for?

• FLRuth

Cute idea!!! I do something similar with decoupage glues (Modge Podge) and then finish the outsides with Min Wax polycrylic as they are a little easier to wipe when dusty.

I also leave the dish in place - using a clear bowl - put the fabric on the outside (facing in, then a layer facing out and leave the dish inside, so glass inside is easy to clean Can make cute trinket dishes to hold jewelry by the kitchen sink or to put rings/earrings in at night or big ones for fruit.

• Jennifer

How do you make the edge of the bowl so nice?

• Leslie

Great project thank you for sharing. If I may suggest something to add. Take some of the leftover fabric and cut into long strips to braid. Make sure before you cut to have the strips wide enough for the thickness of braid you want. soak the strips before braiding or the braided rope into the stiffener and make sure it is thoroughly soaked and then squeeze out the excess. Apply to the top edge of your bowl and let dry. If it has not stuck to the edges take some E-6000 and carefully go around the edge of the bowl but do not move the braid off of it so that it will sit where it dried. Hope that makes sense. :)

• Melin

LOVE this project and such a great use for all the hundreds of fabric scraps from my prior sewing projects ~ a project from a project ~ fun!

Thank you for sharing and inspiring!!!!