Scrap Wood Porch Lanterns

$5

I bet that if you went into your garage and found a few pieces of wood, you could make yourself a wooden lantern! These make great decor pieces for the porch or inside the home and can be made into whatever style or size you want!

Materials & Tools

Materials for this project:

• 2x2 lumber cut @ 18" (x4)
  • 1x4 lumber cut @ 10.5" (x6)
  • 1x4 lumber cut @ 7" (x2)
  • 1x2 lumber cut @ 3" (x8)
  • 1x2 lumber cut @ 5" (x4)
  • 1/4" jute rope
  • Paint or stain

Tools for this project:

• Mitre saw or skill saw
  • Brad nailer
  • Drill bit
  • Kreg jig
Lay out your lantern design & nail together

Lay out your lantern design to see that you want each side to look like.

The 2x2's are used as the corners and the 1x2's are used for the inside design. I put a piece of wood along the top to make sure they were straight, then nailed it all together using my brad nailer.

Repeat X 4

Repeat the previous step to make the 4 sides and nail them all together!

Lantern base & top

The base and top are made of the 1x4's to make a square.

Put these together by making a few pocket holes with your Kreg jig and screw together. You can also use wood glue here too if you'd like.

Attach base & top

Attach the base and top to the 2x2's with a brad nailer.

Making the top decorative

My plan was to add a few extra pieces of wood on the top and to make a spot to put the rope for a handle. As you can see in the next photo, it doesn't look proportionate.

Lantern top

Not loving this look! The block looks too small on top of this big lantern, so I had to come up with another idea.

Lantern top

I cut 4 pieces of 1x3's to make a square on top top of the lantern. I'm hoping this will look a bit better.

Drill holes for the rope handles

Drill 2 holes of either side of the top square to thread the rope handles through.

Assemble the top

Much better! Brad nail together the top pieces to the lantern.

Almost done!

Here's what my lanterns look like before paint or stain. I also made a smaller lantern for this one to have a buddy out on the porch.

Paint/stain & enjoy!

Paint or stain in a colour of your choice, add the rope handle, and set out on your porch to enjoy!

.

.

.

For more ideas and ongoing projects, follow along on Instagram and Facebook!

Insta: @farmhouse.ongunnshill

Facebook: Lauren Ann Design

~Lauren 

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas

• Maureen
    Maureen

How heavy are they? Using lumber could be quite heavy. I truly thing if you used lighter pieces, such as, tin, buttons, chains from old purses, ceramic or metal it may be lighter and could be hung for display.

• Ticia
    Ticia

Looks great but where'd you get the glass piece for the center? Didn't see it listed in the materials section. Looks beautiful but beyond my skill level.

• Kal21880830
      Kal21880830

They are readily available in most Dollar Stores and craft stores and are inexpensive.

• Ross Anderson
    Ross Anderson

Did u use 1x3 or 1x4 for the top and bottom? Looks to be 1x4 to me