Desk Makeover

$40

Score! How great is it when you’re out thrifting and luck up and find a nice piece of furniture for $15? That is exactly what happened!

With just a few scratches to repair and needing a good cleaning, this desk was one of my easier furniture projects.

I used Dixie Belle Paint's White Lightning cleaner and a Scotch Brite scouring sponge. This cleaner is great for cleaning furniture before painting. It comes in powder form which you mix with water. I made a batch and stored it in an old plastic milk jug. For easy application, I poured some of the solution into a spray bottle. You will need a bucket of clean water for rinsing off your piece. I clean in sections and immediately rinse the part I just cleaned. Always make sure you wear gloves when you are cleaning.

I removed all of the drawers and handles. I always label the drawers because sometimes they do not fit in different drawer slots correctly. As you can see I simply wrote LT (left top) on painter's tape and stuck it in the bottom of the drawer. I also tape the drawer handle holes so primer/paint does not drip into the drawers.

Now it was time to repair the scratches. I used MH Ready Patch wood filler and a plastic putty knife for this. After the wood filler dried. I sanded those spots with 220 grit sandpaper. To make sure these areas are smooth, I look away and run my hand over them. Sometimes I have to reapply wood filler if I still feel any indentions. I used a soft bristle brush to dust away sanding residue and then wiped the entire desk with a microfiber cloth.

Then it was time to sand down the top using my orbital sander. I started with 60 grit paper to remove the finish. Next, I used 120 then 220 paper to gradually make the surface smooth. Once again I brushed off and wiped down the entire desk.

On to priming. first I applied painters tape to areas where I didn't want primer. Since I had decided to paint the lower potion white that meant I definitely had to prime to stop bleed through. Zinseer Primer with shellac is my go to product. I turned the desk upside down to apply primer first. This helps to make sure I get primer everywhere. I used a roller to apply the primer and a sponge brush to get the small, tight areas. Then I turned the desk upright to finish priming. I lightly sanded the primed areas to make sure the surface was smooth and then applied another coat of primer.

I still had a few spots that bled through and had to be touched up with more primer.

I used Jolie Paint in the color Pure White. Even though I primed I still had to put 3 coats on some areas.

After the paint was dry, I used 220 grit sandpaper to lightly distress to highlight some of the details of this beautiful desk.

To seal the paint, I applied 2 coats of Dixie Belle Paint's Satin Clear Coat. I worked in small sections brushing it on with a paintbrush first then I went back over it with a sponge brush. This helps eliminate brushstrokes.

For the desk top, I applied a coat of Varathane Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner with a lint free cloth before I stained. This helps give an even colored tone. After 30 minutes, I applied a coat of Varathane Wood Stain in Dark Walnut with a lint free cloth, wiped away any excess, and let it dry over night.

To seal the stained top, I applied 4 coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly in Clear Satin. I lightly sanded in between coats using 325 grit sandpaper. I wiped off the top with a microfiber cloth after each sanding.

Next it was onto the drawer handles, I decided to use the original handles. I cleaned them in soapy water and discovered they were brass plated. The plating was peeling off so I sanded the stubborn areas with 220 grit sandpaper. You can also use fine steel wool.

After the handles were clean, I applied 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer first to help the paint adhere. Next, I sprayed on 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Metallic matte paint in Sunlit Brass. Last, I sealed the paint with 2 coats of Rust-Oleum matte clear sealer. They look so much better!

The inside drawer bottoms were not in bad shape but I wanted to give them a little something extra. I had gift wrap paper I found on clearance at World Market. I measured the drawer bottoms by turning the drawers over. Then I measured and cut my paper to fit. I placed them inside the drawers to make sure they fit properly. They did have to be trimmed a little so I used an Exacto knife to trim the excess. I placed double sided tape in the bottoms to make the paper stay in place.

A perfect work space for any home office!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/leapoffaith090117/

• Trina Davis Strong

Beautiful! And thank you SO VERY MUCH for the detailed instructions with pics. A lot of times the stories look like they just waved a magic wand.