Learn How to Create a Bowl Made Entirely of Resin

$20
1 Day

I love working with resin, and I’m always trying to find new creative ways to put it to use in my projects. In this project I’ll show you how I made a bowl entirely of resin! This resin bowl makes a great centerpiece for your coffee table! Or place it on your kitchen table and fill it with decorative balls or fruit! Just make sure not to use it for any real food as it is not food safe. Want to learn how I did it? Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to get started now!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Plastic wrap
  • Tape
  • Silicone
  • Stone Coat countertops epoxy
  • Powdered resin color
  • Heat gun
  • Pressed flowers
  • Popsicle stick

Make Your Mold

Tape Down Plastic Wrap

I cut a piece of plastic wrap big enough for the bowl I wanted to create. Then I taped it down as flat as possible onto an MDF board. I’m using an MDF board simply because I need a very flat surface underneath this project. 

Create a Silicone Mold

Once I had my plastic wrap taped down I moved on to making my mold. Using silicone I made a circle. Make sure that the circle has thick lines that are slightly raised as we’ll be pouring resin in the middle and we don’t want it spilling over. Then I let it dry completely.

Mix the Epoxy

Mix the Epoxy

I mixed up the epoxy with the hardener and the resin. The amount you’ll need for your project will depend on the size of your bowl, but in general you need 3 ounces per square foot for a project that needs a thin layer. I need a thicker layer for this project so I mixed up a bit more. 

Add Color

With my epoxy fully mixed, I was ready to color it! I divided the epoxy into three cups, leaving a bit left over because I also wanted some clear resin, and added colored powder to each of them. In general you want to add about 15% color. I added a little less because I wanted them to be slightly translucent.

Mix the Color

Pour the Resin

Pour the Resin

I poured a small amount of clear epoxy in the center of my silicone circle.

Pour Colored Epoxy

Then, working from the outside in, I added layers of color. I poured each color on top of the previous color. This causes it to spread inwards while creating a striped effect. I continued pouring along the outer edge until I had used all of my epoxy.

Swirl

Swirl

If you want you can skip this step and just leave the epoxy to set, but I wanted to add a bit more visual interest, so I swirled the colors a bit using a popsicle stick.

Hit it with Heat

Hit it with Heat

If you usually use a torch for epoxy, do not use it for this project. The plastic wrap underneath the epoxy will melt and cause a lot of problems. I used a heat gun set on a medium-low heat setting instead. Then I heated up the entire surface of the epoxy

Add Flowers

Add Flowers

I layered flowers in the center of my bowl facing down, as the part facing me now will become the bottom of the bowl. 

Add More Resin

I pressed them down gently and poured a clear layer of epoxy over them, just to cover them. I hit it with the heat gun one last time and then left it to dry for about 7 hours. You want it to be relatively set, but still pliable. 

Form the Bowl

Lay the Resin on a Bowl

I picked up the entire piece of resin, together with the plastic wrap, and laid it over the bottom of a plastic bowl to shape it. 

Form the Bowl

Make sure that the plastic wrap side is facing down so that you don’t end up with a resin bowl stuck to the outside of your plastic bowl. I gently shaped it. Then I left it to cure for a full 24 hours.

Remove the Silicone

Once it was fully dry, I removed it from the bowl and then cut off the silicone from the edges. 

Epoxy Resin Bowl

This project is not food safe, but I love how it looks on my coffee table! You can fill yours with decorative fruit or really anything you want. How would you customize this project? Let me know in the comments below!

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!

• Elyse

Can you use a hair dryer or do you need an actual heat gun?

• Elizabeth Pullan

Heat just pulls the air bubbles out, so a blow drier i think would work, it might move the resin around if to strong though!

• Tammy James Bedford

What kind of powdered color did you use and where do you get it from, can you use acrylic paint?