How do I clean a shower floor with soap film all over it?

DrlucilleBetsyHomeroad
+15

Our shower floors has a rock floor and it is covered with thick snow scum!

• LorriLJ

I would try sprinkling baking soda on the floor then spritzing vinegar over it. Let it bubble for a minute or three then take a scrub brush and scrub away. Rinse thoroughly afterwards. Liquid soap doesn’t create much scum so you may want to switch.

• Em

My go to is Awesome cleaner from the Dollar stores. It removes dirt and grime other cleaners don't touch and it is only one dollar. It gets into nooks and crannies. Use a dish scrub brush. They do make shower and grout cleaners in the tile section of Home Depot but try the Awesome first.

• Morgan McBride

You need to use a scrub brush to really get it well.

• Recreated Designs

Hi Martha, I agree that whatever you end up using, since it is a rock floor and probably very porous you are going to need a scrub brush. I would try scrubbing it first with just a brush and water with (or you can add a little baking soda for grit) and scrub away. That will probably remove most of what has accumulated.

• Oliva

I've found that Dawn dish liquid original smeared atop the surface and left to sit for 30 minutes, then scrubbed with a little warm water, a small quantity of baking soda and a microfiber cloth to be very effective in dissolving soap scum and the buildup from shampoos and hair conditioners.

• Kmdreamer

Comet and a scrub brush will clean that off

• Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of Dawn dish soap and vinegar. Spray it on the shower floor and let it work. You may have to scrub with a plastic scrubbie!

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

This video should be helpful, shows what works and doesn't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB32EnOGKOE

• Unique Creations By Anita

I have this issue all the time. I cover the hole with a washer wrapped around a plastic tub, anything big enough to block the drain. Then fill the base with hot water and add some bleach. Leave it sit for about 30 minutes and then rinse. Works perfectly.

• DesertRose

Vinegar used regularly (spritz after each shower in 1:1 with water bottle) will keep it gone. To do a good scrub now you might want to plug the shower drain and pour equal amounts of water and vinegar to let it soak, or just spray it down good and let soak. Vinegar keeps those minerals in check!

• Johnavallance82

Hello Martha,

Try "Crud Cutter" or anything that removes soapy scum. Maybe Barkeepers friend!

• Redcatcec

I use Awesome from the dollar store.

• Deb K

Hi Martha, hope this helps you out,

Combine equal amounts of vinegar and water into a spray bottle, then add one tablespoon of dish detergent. Spray the solution on the soap scum, and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. When you return, scrub it with a soft-bristle scrub brush, and rinse with hot water. Dry thoroughly.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Try wet & forget shower. It is the only thing I could find that will clean my shower floor, it is textured.

• Homeroad

I would spray bleach and scrub with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

• Drlucille

Bleach, left for several hours, scrubbed in with a long handled stiff bristle brush, works a treat on mine - won’t change the stone colour. . .🤗