How to clean plastic knive handles?

+17

I have these knives that I bought 15 years ago at Costco that I absolutely LOVE. Unfortunately the handles are very dirty. Looking for solutions. They are rough so scrubbing with a green scrubbie is. It good. I’ve tried BarKeepers, Baking Soda, magic eraser, bleach. Maybe some combination of products is needed?? I’ve wrapped them and let them soak before but would like whiter.

q how to clean plastic knive handles
  • Oliva Oliva on Jul 08, 2020

Have you tried making a thick paste of baking soda and hot water, smearing this over the handles, and let set, overnight? Next day, apply a few drops of hot water and scrub gently with a microfiber cloth. You may need to repeat this, but it's quite effective at removing heavy duty grime.

• Nan W. Nan W. on Jul 08, 2020

Oliva: Oxiclean can work miracles!

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 08, 2020

Have you tried comet and a Brillo if that doesn’t work Home Depot sells CLR cleaner in a bottle that should do it you might need to soak them over night.

• Try soaking them in hydrogen peroxide.

• I found this online, this may work for the handles if they're plastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHqojMPHW4A

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jul 08, 2020

Try a Magic Eraser sponge on it.

• Soak it in a solution of baking soda and vinegar. It works on mine.

• Cindy Cindy on Jul 08, 2020

Hi Gwyn. Try wiping them down with straight rubbing alcohol. Lay the knives down on a flat surface and wipe one side and then the other. Good luck Gwyn.

• Nennie Nennie on Jul 08, 2020

Bar keepers friend scrubbed with sos pad and bleach. Maybe even soak it in Clorox

• William William on Jul 08, 2020

Try some white tooth paste and a damp toothbrush. make sure the toothpaste foams up.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 09, 2020

Make a thick paste of baking soda and water, rub it on, let set overnight. next day use the rough part of a dollar store sponge and rub it off, repeat if necessary.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jul 09, 2020

Hello. I’m surprised the barkeepers did not work! I would’ve thought that would’ve been your solution.

Do you feel like you have hard water there? Sometimes a little CLR can remove lime residue which might be holding onto the stains. Just a thought—- that happens in my sink stoppers areas. Hope you find the perfect solution to restore your knife handles. Good luck.

• Deb K Deb K on Jul 09, 2020

Hi Gwyn, hope this helps you out,

https://foodal.com/knowledge/cleaning/11-ways-remove-stains-plastic/

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 09, 2020

I didn't see alcohol listed. Try that. You could also paint them.

• Homeroad Homeroad on Jul 11, 2020

Try a Mr Clean magic eraser, they work wonders!

• Dee Dee on Jul 13, 2020

Amagic Eraser is like using sandpaper on the knife handles. It will take off a very thin layer. Since you have tried everything I would get some 1000 grit wet sandpaper and use with baking soda to see if you can get them white again.

I wouldn't try painting them, because they will flake.