Learn How to Create Stunning Cactus Watercolor Curtains

$20

Sometimes you have an image in your mind of what you want but you just can’t seem to find it in any of the shops! I had been searching for the perfect cactus curtain for a bedroom in my house, but I just couldn’t find one that met all of my criteria, so I decided to make my own! I created these hand painted cactus curtains based on an image that I found online, but you can use whatever design you like. In this tutorial I’ll show you how to create a faux watercolor effect with chalk paint that looks stunning! Check out my step-by-step tutorial below to learn how I did it!

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Plain white curtains
  • Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint
  • Pencil
  • Spray bottle
  • Paintbrushes (in various shapes and sizes)
  • Iron
DIY Cactus Painting

Mark Where You Want to Paint
Mark Where You Want to Paint

I didn’t want my painting to start on the very bottom because I like the look of puddle curtains where the bottom of the curtains puddle a bit on the floor. I measured about 16 inches up from the bottom and marked it with a pencil across the bottoms of the curtains. 

Paint
Paint

I’m using Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint because I love how well it works with water to create a watercolor effect. It’s also washable, so I’ll be able to take the curtains down and throw them in the washing machine if needed. I’m working with quite a few colors, and the colors you use will depend on your specific design you want to create. 

Here’s a list of the Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint colors I used:

• Daisy
  • Limeade
  • Florida Orange
  • Flamingo
  • Dixie Belle Blue
  • Mint Julep
  • Kudzu
  • Tree Frog Green
  • Peony
  • Coffee Bean
Sketch

Using a pencil, I sketched out one of the cacti onto the curtain.

Spray

Then I saturated the area I would be painting with water using a spray bottle.

Wet the Brush

I dipped my paintbrush into the yellow paint, dipped it into water, and then started painting. 

Start Painting

Make sure to use a lot of water to add to the watercolor effect. I also sprayed water as I painted.

Add Greens

I continued painting with green paints to fill in the cactus, always dipping in water and spraying water over the paint.  

Continue Painting

Once I was done with the first cactus, I painted the rest of the cacti onto the fabric and left it to dry.

Use the End of the Brush
Add Needles

Using a small brush I added prickles and needles to the cacti. For some of the cacti I used the end of the brush to create little dots on some of the cacti.

Add Needles

Add Prickles

Then I used the brush side to add some needles to the outer edges of some of the larger cacti.

Line

I also wet my brush slightly and dragged it down the curtain to add the lines to the taller cactus.

Add Flowers
Add Flowers

Using a brush fully saturating with water, I dipped into oranges and pinks and added a few flowers to the top of the cacti.

Add a Baseline
Add a Baseline

The final bit of painting was to add a bit of a base to the painting. I did this using the end of a bigger brush. Of course, make sure to spray the area you’ll be painting to create more of a watercolor effect. I also added dots with the end of a smaller paintbrush.

Iron
Iron

In order to set the paint, I gave it a quick ironing. You can spray a spray wax over it if you like, but as I’ll probably be throwing these in the wash a few times I thought it best to iron them.

Watercolor Curtains

These watercolor cactus curtains turned out better than I could have ever imagined! They are the perfect accessory for this room and tie the cactus decor and pink walls together perfectly! What design would you use for your own watercolor curtains? Let me know in the comments below!

22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Fiona Debell

• Deborah
    Deborah

Why isn’t there a photo of the entire curtain? It’s really difficult to see the entire effect.

• Joyce
      Joyce

At the top of the post is the video. Beautiful job!

• Tonya
    Tonya

Nicely done!!! tfs

• Leslie
    Leslie

Just in case someone wants to do this and does not want to invest in all the chalk paint, you can use any acrylic paints and get the same affect. Below is a link to how to go about the process. Easy Peasy :)

how to set acrylic paints in fabric

• Butters
      Butters

Thank you. Not everyone can afford all that Dixie Belle paint.