Repurposed Cabinet Door

$20

I have a friend who remodels kitchens, & when he has good quality wooden cabinet doors, he gives them to me.I use them to teach how to paint & glaze cabinets at Junk Mama's General Store. Often times, people are there to learn but don't take the doors home with them. So, what do I do with the extra doors? Well, in this case, I turned one into a chalkboard.

I first had to fill the holes left behind from the door pulls. I used Dixie Belle's Mud for this.

Once the mud was dry, I sanded it smooth then painted over the door with the color Fluff from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.I created the chalkboard on the recessed middle part of the door using the color Caviar. I first painted horizontally across the door.

I let the first coat dry, then painted the Caviar in a vertical direction.

I did a third & final coat horizontally.

I wanted to add a small, faux boxwood wreath to the chalkboard, but before I glued it down, the chalkboard needed to be conditioned. Conditioning the chalkboard prevents a halo being left behind when you erase writing on the board.

I placed the wreath where I wanted it to go, then conditioned the chalkboard by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk over the paint. I didn't want to condition where I was gluing the wreath because the chalk may prevent the glue from holding it in place.

Once I had gone over the chalkboard with the chalk, I used a dry paper towel to wipe it back.

I used E6000 to glue to wreath onto the chalkboard.

I wrote our wifi password on the chalkboard and hung it in my guest room.

This was a fun way to repurpose an old cabinet door into something useful.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Virginia B

• Linda

Im not sure I understand the conditioning part....you rub the side of the chalk over the surface of board? How is that different than writing on it??

• Virginia B

If you don't condition the board, when you try to erase something you've written, it will still show faintly. I did this especially in this case because I didn't use chalkboard paint, I used chalk mineral paint. When you buy traditional chalkboard paint it even tells you on the can to do this. Plus it gives it that chalkboard look.

• Susan

Artsy VaVa, I do have a question... about your name! In my Portuguese family, VaVa Is the term our babies use for “grandmother”. Avo is the Portuguese word for grandmother, but for the one-year-olds in our family it comes out as “VaVa”. So I must ask... are you a VaVa?

• Elisabeth Mackey

Love it. It looks amazing, what a great idea!