DIY Dollar Store Side Table

$10

I made this fun and easy nautical DIY Dollar Store Side Table using some simple items from the Dollar Store, a few items I already had (and a few from Michaels). Here is how I made it.

Spray Paint

First, I sprayed painted the trash barrels and charger plates a glossy white. I bought 2 chargers, but only ended up using 1. Apparently these trash barrels come in white already, but they didn’t have them at the 2 Dollar Tree stores I visited in my area.

Attach the Barrels

Once the paint was dry, I attached the 2 barrels together. At first, I tried gluing them. That wasn’t working great and I was worried the glue wouldn’t hold up, so I ended up zip-tying them together to make sure they were secure. I used only 2 zip-ties, 1 opposite the other. This did the trick.

Embellish the top (optional)

This step is optional. You can leave the top as is, if you’d like.

I was going to stencil the top using this Compass Rose stencil I found on Amazon (and have used in many projects, like this tray). However, the stencil was a little to big for the plate. Instead I used this nautical map wrapping paper. I simply cut a circle to fit inside the charger plate and used some Mod Podge to adhere it to the top.

Add some rope

Once the Mod Podge dried I used some E6000 to add some rope around the edge to hid the imperfections. I also added some rope to the middle of the table (to hid the zip ties), and one strand around the bottom.

NOTE-I usually purchase my rope at Dollar Tree, but both stores in my area were out of it. I was able to purchase very similar rope at Michaels (which I actually liked better, but cost a bit more)>

Glue Charger to the top...

I added some shells to the top trash barrel and then used the E6000 to glue the charger plate to the top of the table.

Finishing touches...as I was working with the barrels some of the spray paint chipped off, so I did have to touch up the paint a bit. Luckily I had some regular white paint in the garage and used that to touch up any chips.

Overall, I am happy with how it came out and it didn't cost very much to make. This was pretty easy to make and looks pretty cute too.

30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
The House house

• Ellie

I want to ask about a previous project. Involving brick stone block in front of our dock we put brick stone now needs attention should we seal it somehow?

• The House house

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. I do believe they sell sealers but don't have much experience with them. Sorry.

• Jan49450051

Having are hard tell locating any mesh trash cans at any of the local Dollar Tree stores. Are they any other items that I could use instead?

(cheap or very low cost)

• Jac7417746

I have been unable to locate the wire mesh trashcans at my local $ stores, any suggestions?

• Bunny Redenbaugh

I would like to try this but don’t have any place to spray paint.

i also thought of putting a battery operated candle amongst the shells with the use of a remote control. Maybe also changing the shells for small bag of rocks from the dollar store or the glass colored stones. If you could leave the plate lose, you could change the inside to go with the season.

• Decorate and More with Tip

What a cute way to use those Dollar Tree mesh bins. I love your table.