DIY Dollar Store Side Table

$10

I made this fun and easy nautical DIY Dollar Store Side Table using some simple items from the Dollar Store, a few items I already had (and a few from Michaels). Here is how I made it.

Spray Paint

First, I sprayed painted the trash barrels and charger plates a glossy white. I bought 2 chargers, but only ended up using 1. Apparently these trash barrels come in white already, but they didn’t have them at the 2 Dollar Tree stores I visited in my area.

Attach the Barrels

Once the paint was dry, I attached the 2 barrels together. At first, I tried gluing them. That wasn’t working great and I was worried the glue wouldn’t hold up, so I ended up zip-tying them together to make sure they were secure. I used only 2 zip-ties, 1 opposite the other. This did the trick.

Embellish the top (optional)

This step is optional. You can leave the top as is, if you’d like.

I was going to stencil the top using this Compass Rose stencil I found on Amazon (and have used in many projects, like this tray). However, the stencil was a little to big for the plate. Instead I used this nautical map wrapping paper. I simply cut a circle to fit inside the charger plate and used some Mod Podge to adhere it to the top.

Add some rope

Once the Mod Podge dried I used some E6000 to add some rope around the edge to hid the imperfections. I also added some rope to the middle of the table (to hid the zip ties), and one strand around the bottom.

NOTE-I usually purchase my rope at Dollar Tree, but both stores in my area were out of it. I was able to purchase very similar rope at Michaels (which I actually liked better, but cost a bit more)>

Glue Charger to the top...

I added some shells to the top trash barrel and then used the E6000 to glue the charger plate to the top of the table.

Finishing touches...as I was working with the barrels some of the spray paint chipped off, so I did have to touch up the paint a bit. Luckily I had some regular white paint in the garage and used that to touch up any chips.

Overall, I am happy with how it came out and it didn't cost very much to make. This was pretty easy to make and looks pretty cute too.

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
The House house

• Ellie
    Ellie

I want to ask about a previous project. Involving brick stone block in front of our dock we put brick stone now needs attention should we seal it somehow?

• The House house
      The House house

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. I do believe they sell sealers but don't have much experience with them. Sorry.

• Jan49450051
    Jan49450051

Having are hard tell locating any mesh trash cans at any of the local Dollar Tree stores. Are they any other items that I could use instead?

(cheap or very low cost)

• Kay VanderBaan
      Kay VanderBaan

I found my waste baskets at Dollar Tree. They were in the aisle where the mops, buckets, rubber gloves etc were. I had been looking in a different part of the store for them. The employees didn’t know where they were either.

• Jac7417746
    Jac7417746

I have been unable to locate the wire mesh trashcans at my local $ stores, any suggestions?

• Kay VanderBaan
      Kay VanderBaan

The waste baskets at Dollar Tree are plastic. They come in white or black. I want to use my outside so I’m going to weigh them down with decorative rocks or stake them down so they don’t blow away.

• Decorate and More with Tip
    Decorate and More with Tip

What a cute way to use those Dollar Tree mesh bins. I love your table.

• EBB
    EBB

I made this side table using 3 child size sitting stools that my daughter had when she was teaching. I simply used E6000 to glue a pizza tray from Dollar Tree to the seat of the stools. I love my little side tables.