DIY Beachy Weathered Painted Dresser Makeover

$20

I gave my boring faux wood dresser a "by the sea" makeover for a weathered beach vibe. Here's how I did it!

Before & After

I've had this dresser for 10 years and never liked how the wood didn't match any of the other wood finishes in our bedroom.

But I just couldn't decide what to do with it! I figured painting it was the easiest thing but I didn't want to paint it white and nothing else seemed to make sense.

On a recent trip to the beach I saw some beach-weathered furniture and figured "why not"? The worst that can happen is that I don't like it and I paint over it.

It turns out that I LOVE the new look of the dresser and feel like it finally fits in.

Here's how to get the same look for yourself.

Remove old hardware

Here is the old dresser again. First I had to remove the old pulls and use a dolly to bring it out to the carport.

New pulls

I looked at a TON of different pulls that would have worked for my weathered beach vibe.

I settled on these rubbed bronze pulls because they were cheap (less than $2 each) and matched those on my husband's dresser.

I got 5 on Amazon for less than $10.

Go with an ultra matte or chalk paint finish

To get that weathered look you definitely don't want to use a gloss or satin finish.

I recommend trying to find paint that is ultra matte or even chalk paint.

I used two cans of this Ultra matte Coastal Sage spray paint.

Put a light coat of paint on the dresser

I first painted the dresser case with the drawers removed.

Then I painted just the front of the drawers.

I put on too much paint for my first go at this. I think a light coat of paint is better - just barely covering the wood. You are going to sand much of it off anyway so light coverage with save you time later.

Sand with a fine grit sponge

Next you start sanding and wiping with a cloth as you go.

I used a fine grit sanding sponge and I think it worked perfectly. It is important to wipe with a damp cloth as you go to get a good idea of how much paint you have actually taken off.

How much you take off depends on how weathered of a look you are going for. I ended up taking off more than I initially thought I would to get the weathered look I wanted.

Attach new pulls

After I sanded I went to attach my new pulls and realized the bolts were too long for the drawers.

Luckily my husband is clever and has power tools. He fashioned these wooden washers to make the pulls fit. Hopefully you won't have to do the same for your project.

Admire your new dresser

As I said I was super happy with how the dresser turned out. It has actual character now. My husband says he feels like he is on a beach vacation.

Any questions about how to get this weather look? Please leave a comment below and I will answer!

Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Leah Althiser

• Yvette
    Yvette

Would it need to be sanded if a glossy feel to dresser (25 years old)? Also did you seal it with anything?

• Leah Althiser
      Leah Althiser

I don’t think sanding before paint would be necessary unless the surface was very rough. I didn’t seal mine.

• Leesa Hagen
    Leesa Hagen

So cute! I love the Beachy vibe. And I didn’t know a

bout extra matte or chalk spray paint. Definitely makes the job easier!

• Vivian
    Vivian

Great job, I really love. I do have a question: What kind of wood of is the dresser made of.