DIY Oversized Door Handle

$40

I recently just made some huge barn doors for our master bedroom closets. I searched forever trying to find the perfect handle. The doors are 83” so a small handle would have looked silly. In the end I ended up doing DIY handles.

At the hardware store, I found these pipe connector fittings. I thought these would be perfect for the handles. I envisioned a stained dowel and black connectors.

Going with a pine dowel, it made it easy to stain and get the color I wanted.

For the stain I used a layer of Early American and a light layer of Weathered Oak.

I marked the dowel where the connectors would go.

The pipe connector was 3/4” and so was the dowel but it was a little loose. To avoid it slipping while installing, we added some tape to the dowel.

The tape added some grip and would make it easier to drill through when connecting to the door.

Placing it on the door gave an idea of where it should sit.

In order to connect it to the barn door, we screwed through the back of the closet door.

In the end, the look is exactly what I was going for. Now handle possibilities are endless!

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration

• Cindy Clista

If the pipe connectors are hollow what are they being screwed into to hold onto doors?

• Ash | Dash Lifestyles

The pipe connectors slid onto the wood and held pretty good with the tape. Then when we screwed through the door into the dowel, the connectors can’t move :)

• Judi

I have same question as Cindy - below ...If the pipe connectors are hollow what are they being screwed into to hold onto doors?

• Lovesunique

How about editing your post to add the length of the screw you used?

• Doreen Kennedy

Great idea. We still don’t have a handle on our bathroom barn door. Our’s would look great with a dowel painted like stainless steel. Your’s looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your idea.

• Jacquienina

I am def doing this. What length did you decide on for the dowels, out of curiosity? I plan to keep the copper, cuz I really like that look.