Live Hat Wall

$40

Hi DIY friends! Come along and join the ride as I create a super simple and chic hat wall. This idea morphed from a headboard, to a live wall, to a hat wall! It now serves a dual purpose, wall decor and accessory storage. I purchased a retractable bamboo lattice trellis. These are used for vining plants, and can be found either online or at a nursery. I picked it up in hopes of creating a faux 'live wall'.

Figuring out how to hang it

This was the biggest struggle for me, but hey! I sorted it out so you don't have to!  Because it is retractable, I needed to find a way to keep it hung in place on the wall without snapping back shut. It sounds simple, but I had to try a few things before I found what worked for me.

String it is

Because we are renters, whenever I hang anything, I try to find the option that will leave the smallest blemish on the wall. This is why I love command hooks. I decided to go for those. To keep the lattice in place, I used string in a color closest to the bamboo (for camouflage purposes) and tied the lattice to the command hooks.

Just like that! And it works perfectly.

Time for some greenery

I wanted to fill the lattice with greenery. My vision was a bit more ambitious than what I actually achieved, but I am happy with it! I hate when faux greenery looks super plasticy, and I've found that faux strand of pearls plant looks pretty realistic. I picked up a bunch of them from a local home goods store (Amazon has them too!). In total I purchased 3 packs of 3 pieces.

Hook them on

These came with wire at the ends, and so I just bent them into hook shapes, and hooked them sporadically onto the lattice.

I then hung some of the vines haphazardly for a fully, more natural look.

S Hooks!

I then purchased a package of S hooks. This one came with 4, and that was enough for me. You can use as many as needed.

I then hooked them onto the lattice. I want the weight to be evenly distributed throughout the lattice, so I spaced them somewhat evenly across. I also tried to put them in spots that could be covered with the vines just to hide them a bit.

Put it to use!

This is the fun part! You can use it to hang anything. Here i tried out some of my scarves.

Some other items...

What I really needed this for was hats, and that's what I settled on. This adds a nice green feel to my bedroom, and I love that I can store my hats in a way that doubles as decor. Win-win!

• Cathy Magan

AWESOME! I would love this idea incorporated into my kitchen for pans! & the vines are perfect aesthetic addition! Its so. GREAT!!!

• Sharon

I really like your ideas. Now with mask-wearing for health, I could hang a few of my fabric masks on it along with my hats. Or, I might try finding a way to put a wicker basket on it to hold a very small, real plant...or just a basket for small items like hair ties. Thank you. This is fun!