Art Deco Drinks Cabinet

$50
Advanced

Other than mid century modern my other favorite type of furniture to work on are art deco pieces! Especially art deco bars. I love how these pieces come back to style and people separated by decades can enjoy these pieces. Here is how I refinished another gorgeous beautylity drinks cabinet. You can find many of my pieces on Instagram @andreapalmai

Clean

Before

the cabinet was in good shape but I could see that underneath that old varnish there was amazing grain. I first cleaned it as it has been in the garage.

Sanding and a touch of gold

I always sand my pieces with 120/220/320 grain sandpaper and orbital sander. I taped of the edges of the cabinet with frogtape ( for delicate surfaces) and painted the edge gold.

Have a plan

Draft

I try to always sketch out my design and since I was going with an art deco theme it was important to have a plan. It doesn't always turn out how the draft is (as you can tell) because I make changes on the go.

Painting

More tape and gold

This is the front door of the cabinet where I wanted to feature my art deco design in gold and navy the two accent colors for my project.

Tada

Once the tape was off I already loved it

Adding more details

This part was very time consuming but fun. You have to wait till the paint dries to add the next part of the design but all I had was time during quarantine. I used valspar furniture paint in navy to complete the rest of the cabinet and detailing.

Taking shape

Sealing with danish teak oil

Almost done

Once the whole piece was finished I rubbed the wood parts down with Danish teak oil! That took the piece to a whole new level. That grain is like 🔥🔥🔥

beautiful beautility drinkscab

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Perfectly Round Tables
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away

• Carolyn Militello

Beautiful job!! I know that you tape off the areas but how do you get the lines perfectly straight and evenly spaced using tape? And even of you use a tape measure to get the distance, again how do you get the tape so perfectly straight?

• Sherie Scott

I don’t know where you found that beautiful piece of furniture but it is exceptional...and what you have done to give it new life is really lovely. I would think this piece would be highly sought after. Was it very pricey to buy?

• Susan

...really beautiful piece. I was expecting to read about how you refinished the wood that you did not paint... stripping the varnish or sanding it down. Did you just clean and oil the wood? Wow Wow Wow!

• Susan

I did read the article carefully. I was just commenting that I was surprised that you arrived at such a beautiful finish simply with oil. The finish is so spectacular, I kept thinking I was going to read the super duper, special process you went through to arrive there! I’m always appreciative of the artist’s eye. This piece is magnificent.

• Debbie
    Yesterday

I am not crazy about that kind of stuff but that turned out nice.

• Beth Zarzycki Slusher
    5 hours ago

Andrea, I too love the Art Deco period. I have to say, that out of all of the makeovers that I have seen, yours is by far the most amazing! Once you removed the varnish the grain of the wood was truly revealed. Your painting was spot on for the era and perfectly done. I’ve come back to look at your piece a few times and so wish I had one like this. Thank you so much for sharing this gem of a piece.