How to Hang Outdoor Sheer Curtains -- AND They Stay Put in the Wind!

$22

Sheer curtain panels can obscure a less than desirable view and they can frame a stunning view. They say “special, cozy & private”. And it’s not expensive. We’re talking sheers and NO expanse of rods are needed.

Here’s the trick for outdoor sheers. You do NOT want to run them through a rod!!! The wind will grab them and have them hanging wherever he wants them, not where you want them.

More details are in the full blog tutorial.

Take charge of this. Use knobs, NOT rods!

Let's Get Started. You'll Need:

Materials:

• Sheer Curtain Panel
  • Ribbon, 24-inches per panel
  • Drawers Pulls, 5 per panel
  • Dowel screw to fit Drawer Pulls
  • Locking Cup Hook
  • Decorative Ribbon for Tie backs

Supplies:

• Drill & bit for starter holes
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine, optional
  • needle and thread
  • Ladder
  • Tape Measure

Prepare the Curtain Panel(s)

Choose a sheer ready made panel that is machine washable and dryable. Any rain will dry quickly and you can throw in the washing machine between seasons or maybe mid-season too.

Mine are made from the cheapest white sheer window scarf Walmart had in stock. Typically window scarf valances are 216″ long, yielding two panels. You can use ready-made panels, if the length is right and you don’t mind spending a bit more as trade-off for no cutting and hemming.

I cut that long scarf into two long panels, about 108-inches each. Then folded and pressed a modest hem, folding over twice. Ran it through the sewing machine, but you can certainly hand-stitch if the machine terrifies you. This hem will be at the bottom and hardly show. Don’t stress about its perfection.

Add the Ribbon Loops:

Use stout ribbon, such as grosgrain or a soft webbing.

I wanted to stay with white and only had a wide grosgrain piece on hand. So I pressed it in half lengthwise and then stitched down those sides (probably didn’t really need to stitch the sides).

Cut you ribbons to length. For my 1-1/8″ knobs, I cut my ribbons 4 1/2-inches long. I suggest doing a zig zag over the ends, or if machine fear kicks in, then heat-seal the ends.

You can only heat-seal ribbons that are of synthetic fibers. (not cotton, wool or burlap). Cut you ribbon and pass the flame from a lighter across the very tip of those cut edges. Watch carefully as the edge melts and shrivels up.

Mark where your ribbons will go.

With five there’s no math required. One centered on each of the side hems, fold in half and mark the middle, then line up each corner with the middle and and mark both of those middles.

Stitch the Ribbon Loops in Place

Next, on each mark, stitch a ribbon folded in half with ends lined up a bit below the top on the backside of your panel.

TIP: Pin one of the ribbons in place and test again, making sure the loop is large enough to make it over the drawer pull.

All good? Then stitch these securely!!! I used a box with one edge of the box along the upper folded edge of the hem. This keeps the upper edge flat and hanging evenly. You can certainly do this by hand. Your stitches will barely show.

Prepare to Hang Your Sheers

Measure and mark the placement for your knobs.

Start a pilot hole with a drill (or if your drill battery is dead when you’re ready for progress, a large nail will do — oh, like that’s never happened to you. Yup, I thought so…..).

Now screw your drawer pulls onto one end of your dowel screws and then into your pilot holes.

Stating the obvious, hang each ribbon loop over a knob.

Once hung, tie a decorative ribbon loosely around the panel and determine what height you want your locking cup hook.

Ta Da! Instant Ambiance

I'd love to see your success with this project. Please share a picture on IG tag and hashtag southhousedesigns. I'll see it then and possibly feature you.

If you enjoyed this DIY, please follow me (blue button at the top) and jump over to my blog to check out more like this.

15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Diane - South House Designs

• Ticia

Wonder if you can do this on a stucco wall? It looks great but I can just see all the frogs and gekkos having the time of their life in it. Wish I could do it.

• Flipturn

Yes, you can drill holes in stucco siding. However just trying to screw the knobs into the holes may not be sufficient to anchor them in place.

To prevent the wind and gravity from pulling them out of the holes, there may need to be some firm backing inside the hole to actually screw the threads of the screw into.

The screw length on the knobs may be too short on their own to reach a solid surface such as real wood.

• Kay bruce

Could you add “small” weights to the bottom to keep from blowing around?

• Johanne Palange

I would try the little clip on gadgets that are used to keep a picnic table cloth from flapping in the wind. Maybe put many, closely spaced.

• Linda

I will try this, it's great. Can you also post the making of the panel behind the curtain? This is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks

• Cheryl

In order to anchor curtains, I always slid little fishing anchors inside the hems on the bottom of the curtain. Always worked great for me!