Weed or flower?

HomeroadUnexpected EleganceCarole Alden
+12

Does anyone know what the second picture of the plant is called. Is it a weed? They grow every year next to my phlox plant and look very similar. I usually wind up pulling them out because they don’t bloom as soon as the others. I could be pulling them out too soon If it is a flower. Anyone know if it’s a different variety of a phlox or if it’s just a weed that grows near them???

Phlox next to unidentified plant

weed or flower?

• Deb K

Hi Sherri, I think it may be Toadflax, it is a wild perennial, yellow & white flowers

• Bridgie Graham Smith

Fire weed because is one of first returning after a blase. they also spread via roving roots.

• Bobbie

Looks like a weed. Found these in my yard popping all over. drew the moisture out of the ground for my flowers. I did away with them!

• Mogie

sorry but it looks like a weed almost resembles a gopher plant (at least that is what mine in Oregon look like but the stalks in your photo appear to be thinner).

• Vimarhonor

Hello. We discovered that the plant dames rocket looks much like a phlox with a master gardener client inquiry.

Here are some links below to see if this plant matches yours and if you can confirm ID =some information about it.

site:edu dames rocket flower

https://www.wiscontext.org/dames-rocket-invasive-confused-phlox-common-sight-wisconsin

• Maura White

If it is dames rocket, then they bloom beautiful purple flowers. But when I first took a glance, it looked like goldenrod to me.

• Cindy

Not sure what this plant is. Next time you're pulling weeds, try leaving one or two of them to see what eventually happens. Good luck Sherri.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi there, it does look like a weed. An old gardener friend of ours taught us an amazing trick to try tell if something is a weed. Crush the leaves and if they smell peppery, 9 times out of ten it's a weed.

• CindyB

i have this in my yard. I think it is goldenrod. Flowers later in the summer/fall. The bees love it.

• Nan W.

Sherri: It looks like fireweed. (which I happen to think is beautiful)

Hi Sherri: Give them a chance to bloom. It looks a bit like wild daisy to me, but hold off on the destruction until you know what they are and decide then, if you like them or not:) Good luck

• Carole Alden

Could be Phlox, iris, or spiderwart. Get a clouseup if you can or scan the leave and flower of one.

• Unexpected Elegance

It looks similar to a weed that grows in my yard?

• Homeroad

If it flowers and is beautiful that is all that matters!