Furniture arrangement suggestions?

Carole AldenFlipturnSharon
+16

Any ideas to arrange furniture in this room? All I have now is this console and desk, but I may want to add a chair/ottoman and tv.

• Mogie

It would help if there was a picture of the empty room so we could see what you have to work with.

• The console could be placed under the set of 3 high windows and be used to hold your tv. Put the chair and ottomon on the left of the second picture by the windows, angled, facing the console/tv. The desk could go on the solid wall, with artwork, bulletin board, etc above it.

• Cindy

I would put the console under the three windows on the far wall. Then put the desk in front of the console facing forward. You could put a couple chairs facing the desk. Good luck Kristen.

• Flipturn

Yes, this is what Cindy is saying- desk parallel to the console and perpendicular to the windows.

Instead of a chair, might you consider a small love seat to go in front of the console, backing up directly onto the desk (that is parallel to the console wall)? In this scenario, the desk would act also as a sofa table.

A smaller swivel chair, with a small side table. angled to face the windows could then go in one of the corners in the forefront of the room. If there was insufficient floor space for a side table, a floating shelf mounted lower on the wall could act as one, for accommodating a mug, ipad charging, etc.

• Flipturn

What are the dimensions of the room?

I am wondering if perhaps it is large enough to allow for the furniture to divide it into two areas - one for TV watching, and one for desk activities.

• Flipturn

Regarding furniture arrangements, do not neglect planning for additional/task lighting. The placement of either floor or surface lamps will be somewhat limited to the position of the electrical outlets on the walls.

Any lamp cords going from furniture in the middle of the room to the walls will be a safety/trip hazard.

• Deb K

Hi Kristen, I would put the desk in the nook under the 3 windows, with seating, use the blank wall for the console, then you can set the couch to be on the window wall and a chair to the side, with coffee table. This will allow for end tables as well. Hope this helps

• Nan W.

With the light in the center of the room, this could be a dining room.

Hi Kristen: If there is room to walk around the desk, I'd put it on the far wall, with the 3 small windows,facing out so that you can see anyone coming into the area and yet still see outside. I see that you have plenty of outlets for your computer and what not. Also, maybe a small padded bench on one wall, across from the larger windows. If you know someone who is handy, and you're not too queasy about it, you can have a hole drilled into the floor where the desk is going to be and run your electricity up from there. Here's what I'm referring to: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-WMFB-Series-1-2-in-15-Amp-Rectangular-Cover-2-Outlet-Residential-AC-Floor-Box-Brass-WMFB1DRB/205485192 It will avoid tripping over wires:) Good luck

• Patty

If the view out the 3 large windows is nice, I would place the desk parallel to that window wall. I would place the console under the 3 little windows. If you want a tv, place it on the console. Then a chair could go angled toward the tv, with a floor lamp next to it on the wall side. I would put a task lamp on my desk and avoid using that overhead light. Add some art, maybe a large plant.

• Flipturn

Regarding Betsy's suggestion to put in a floor outlet to serve the desk:

Yes, this can be done. However, the difficulty in the job will be determining where the nearest electrical line is, and how to best extend it to the new floor outlet without ripping out too much of the flooring or drywall. If the basement ceiling underneath the floor is yet unfinished, this will make the job much easier.

If the existing wires inside the walls are not long enough to extend to the new outlet, then either new longer wires will need to be added to extend directly from the main panel, or a junction box will need to be installed. All this is doable, but the labour will not be cheap.

And lastly, if you were wanting to continue to use the area rug, it is going to block access to the centre floor outlet.

• Carole Alden

If the room is large, you can put book case along the window wall and then put the desk out further and not facing the windows. It would look more like an office. I have mine in my dinning room in the corner near sliding glass doors. This is our largest room so it seavs other uses.