Buffet Beauty

$30

A friend asked for help giving her buffet table a facelift. She recently spruced up her home with new flooring and repainted her walls. This beautiful buffet has been used in her entryway so she wanted to give it a little update, too.

The first thing I did was remove the drawer pulls, handles, and hinges.

Then I labeled the drawers top and bottom. I learned the hard way that drawers don’t always fit into the drawer slots universally. I also put tape over the drawer pull holes on the inside to make sure no primer or paint dripped into the drawers.

Time to clean! This buffet has been well taken care of but it still had to be thoroughly cleaned. Furniture polish or wax builds up on the surface and will cause primer and paint not to adhere.

There were a few small dents and scratches that needed repairing. I used MH Ready Patch to fill in those areas.

After the wood filler dried, it was time to sand. I used my orbital sander and 220 grit sanding pad on the flat surfaces. To tackle the curves, I hand sanded with 220 grit paper. Sanding gives primer and paint something to "grab" onto. Then I brushed off the piece with a soft bristle brush and also wiped it down with a microfiber cloth to remove sanding dust.

To make sure not to get paint on surfaces that aren’t being painted, I used Frog Paint Tape. This does time time and patience but it is so worth it in the end.

Just in case there was a chance of bleed through, I chose to prime with Dixie Belle Paint’s BOSS clear primer. For this project, I wanted to make sure no white primer showed through anywhere. (You can purchase gray primer or have your primer tinted at your local paint stores.)

My client chose Dixie Belle Paint in the color Manatee Gray. This a beautiful light gray with blue undertones. I used 3 coats of paint on the body and 4 coats on the top to make sure it was fully covered. I lightly sanded in between each coat to smooth the surface and it also helps hide brush strokes.

(This is the same base color I used on the top of the dry brushed coffee table in my post “From Formal to Farmhouse Cozy.” )

https://www.hometalk.com/44280536/formal-to-farmhouse-cozy

On to sealing! I applied 2 coats of Dixie Belle Clear Coat in Satin. After stirring it to make sure it was well mixed, I poured some into a container. This prevents contaminating the sealer with paint from other projects. Since this sealer is water based, I keep my spray bottle filled with water close by to spray my brush if the clear coat fills like it is dragging. To apply the clear coat, I brushed it on with a paintbrush first then I went back over it with a sponge brush to hide brush strokes. I lightly sanded with 320 grit sandpaper in between coats.

My friend decided to use the original hardware and it was a perfect choice.

Isn't she beautiful!

21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
15 Perfectly Round Tables
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/leapoffaith090117/