DIY Upcycled Solar Wall Sconces

$5

For my very wooded back yard I not only needed some extra solar lights, but also wanted to decorate a very plain fence that surrounds our dog pen. We need the extra lights in the pen for letting the dogs out at night. A purposeful trip to the local thrift store and I was able to find exactly what I was looking for to create both decorative and functional solar lights.

Old Candle Holders

At the thrift store I found 3 sets of old candle holders for only $3.99 each. These were such a good find and would work perfectly for what I wanted to create.

Making the solar glass globes

Not did I want solar lights but I also wanted to use up some of the glass jars in my recycling bin. Two sets of the candle holders had a flat base that was perfect to use the old jars as globes for the solar lights.

First I removed the top section of the $.97 cent solar lights I purchased at Walmart. Then I applied Gorilla Glue to the edges around the solar light and attached it to the bottom of the glass jar.

Solar Glass Jars

I allowed the glue to dry for several hours while I continued to work on the other parts of the project.

Spray Paint the wall sconces

I selected Rust-Oleum Spray Paint in Seaside Gloss to spray paint the wall sconces and the tops of the glass jars.

Create the solar light base

Once the paint was dry overnight, I hung up each sconce and attached a painted lid to the candle base of each sconce. I needed to hang them up get the lids to stay in place while the glue dried.

Hang them up on the fence outside

After that, it was just a matter of hanging the sconces on the fence outside and making they got plenty of daily sunshine to keep them charged up.

Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Donna Powell

1 comment
  • Gayle

Omg I love this!!!!! I may have to try this when I can find the holders. Thank you 😊