Updating a Vintage Chest of Drawers

$10

This old chest of drawers has been in the bedroom, the dining room, the mudroom and now I'm putting it in the pantry for some much needed storage. But it can't stay looking like an old chest of drawers. I'm going to update it by removing the top two drawers, adding a shelf and the cutest farmhouse style curtain ever!

Besides removing the two top drawers from the chest, we needed to remove the wooden piece of wood that held up and separated the drawers. We used the circular saw to cut both ends off.

We then used the same piece of wood that we sawed off as a stabilizer for the new shelf. Something else for the shelf to screw into. We screwed it into the middle from front to back.

After measuring and painting a scrap piece of plywood, we screwed the shelf into that middle bracket we just added in the last step. If works perfectly! I feel we can add a lot of weight to the shelf and it never fall down.

I didn't want to add doors to the open space because I feel they'd get in the way in our small pantry. So instead, I made a curtain/valance. I only used a needle, thread and buttons to make a rod pocket.

After measuring how large I needed to make the rod pocket, I just started sewing on vintage buttons. I wanted each button to be different to give it more character. This curtain needed about 3 inches for the rod to fit and it turned out perfectly just folding one towel in half. I used 2 towels to make the curtains.

Add the tension rod inside the new rod pocket

If you need the curtain to be larger, just cut off one end and use that end for the rod pocket. The towels come with finished edges so there's no need to hem the sides or bottom edge.

Updated repurposed vintage chest of drawers

After sewing 7 buttons on each towel, I had my curtains. I slipped on the tension rod and voila! We have an updated repurposed vintage chest of drawers! I love how it turned out. You'll have to guess what's behind it! Is it a new bar area, storage for pantry items, pots and pans? It can be used for just about anything! To see more details, check out the blog post.

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Cindy Richter

• Lynne

awesome idea!! i might give this a try, and thanks

• Alicia

I love this idea..!! I am going to do this,! The vintage look is absolutely Beautiful!! WOW I just can't wait to get started on this. Thank U for sharing this idea to the world!!!!! EXCELLENT!!!!!!