How To Paint Patio Tiles

3 materials
$50

Painting cement patio pavers can change your backyard space overnight, and give you a custom tile look, for a fraction of the price.

How to prep and paint patio tiles

Start by rolling all the patio tiles in Farmhouse White. You’d be surprised to see how fast it dries in the full afternoon sun.

Prop up the patio tiles

Before I painted, I used some bricks to prop up one side of each tile to ensure I could pick them up later.

Begin Painting The Pattern

Once the white coat is dry, you have the option of adding another, but I got such good coverage with the first that I didn’t need to do another.

Using a giant ruler and a pencil, lightly draw a grid of 6″x6″ squares. You’ll paint each pattern within the squares.

Using Hampton Blue and a brush, paint horizontal stripes all going in the same direction. Paint 5 stripes in alternating squares to form a checkerboard pattern. All the stripes should be oriented the same way.

Continue Painting The Pattern

Because I was painted 28 tiles, by the time I was done the last tile, the first ones were dry, so I was able to start painting them. Using Williamsburg Blue, repeat the pattern but going in the opposite direction. As long as you used the same amount of stripes in each square, you’ll eventually form a pattern where the stripes meet.

Lay The Tiles

Once all the tiles are painted and dry, put them in place! Line them up as you wish,

Ariel

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 11 questions

Comments

2 of 91 comments
Next