A Multi Purpose Solution For a Small Living Room | DIY Bookshelf

$100

If you are surviving with a small living room, then you know how difficult it can be to keep things organized. So how do you make your small space work for you? I decided to go vertical with my storage options and you can too with this easy and attractive bookshelf tutorial.

Check out the Full Tutorial On the Video

Measure

Start by measuring the area where you want to put your bookshelf to determine the dimensions. I used the height and width of this wall in my living room for my bookshelf. I also measured the height of my couch since the bookshelf will be going behind the couch. I will have a shelf even with the back of the couch. Placing the bookshelf here will keep the couch from rubbing against the wall and smashing our internet box which is stored behind it.

Place The Shelves

Cut out two identical side pieces from 1x12 lumber. Then cut out shelving pieces that are all the same length. How many you cut out will be based on how many shelves you want your unit to have. I went with four.

Run a measuring tape along your side pieces and mark where each shelf will go. I spaced my shelves based on my own storage needs to accommodate both baskets and books.

Hold the shelf boards in place at your markings, and use 3.5 inch screws to attach the shelves to the side pieces. Screwing through the side piece into the shelf. You will be making a shelf sandwich between your side boards.

X Brace

Once all of the shelves are in place, flip the entire bookshelf over. For a large shelf, you need some sort of added support and bracing to keep things from getting wobbly and to strengthen the shelves so they don't bow.

I used 1x6 boards in a X shape on the back of my bookshelf as a brace. This gives the bookshelf a nice farmhouse look too, so bonus!

I laid my first board in place and traced along the edge of my bookshelf to find the exact angle needed. Go cut out these angles and screw the first board down to the bookshelf.

Do the same thing for the second X board only this time you will have to cut out a section where it intersects with the first board. I used the same tracing method to mark out this spot. I simply screwed the ends into the first board at this intersection. Be sure to drill pilot holes so the board doesn't split.

Screw through your X boards into the back of the shelves. Again, this will help those long shelves with a boost of strength and keep them from sagging.

Finished Bookshelf

After my X was finished, my husband and I wrestled this beast into our house. It fit perfectly behind the couch. I finished off the unit with a whitewash and water based poly. You can see more about that in my video or blog.

I kept the decor pretty minimal because we do have a very small living room and I didn't want to overwhelm the space. However, I'm sure we will find more ways to fill this thing up over time.

So don't forget that bookshelves aren't just for libraries. They can be put to use in many different ways. They can protect your wall, hide your cords and create vertical storage in those tight spaces.

20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Heather Cammack

• Jessie

So, you have to climb on the couch every time you want a book? Maybe add another lower shelf to increase use of the space. Great idea but not much storage for the space used.

• Patti Barrett-Day

Lovely, but do you have to stand on the couch to get a book?

• Heather Cammack

Yep but I'm as spry as a Spring Chicken so this works for me. And we've got little kiddos so Mommy and Daddy's books are safer on the top shelf. I keep a stash that I'm currently reading in a more convenient spot.

• Stacey

Did you secure it to the wall ad well?

• Carol Kakonyi

I would no matterand in outlets behind couch needs a heavy duty electriccords tn be in reach they even havw a newone on tv that goes in to outlet and sits with round plug ins just saying

• Tonya

BEAUTIFUL!tfs

• Mimi D.

Since it's a sectional, can you pull a cushion forward easily? That would be an awesome bit of unused space under the bottom shelf to store throws!!!