Bleached Polka Dot Pillow

$10

Try this quick and easy pillow update with no sewing or artistic ability required!

Sometimes if you buy a sofa from a big box furniture store, it probably came with some basic and plain accent pillows. Or you can easily find a plain pillow at a thrift store and update it with some household bleach.

I know, I know - bleach ruins fabric but in this case it only enhances it!

Start with a cotton, wool, or linen pillow. It does need to be a natural fiber because bleach cannot change synthetic fabric like a rayon.

Get a little cup of household bleach (like you use for your laundry) and you only need a small amount and a small tip paint brush. Even a cheap craft brush will work just fine!

Dip your brush in the bleach and start to make some small strokes or dots on the pillow. Whatever the bleach touches it will fade the color and create your pattern. Just do a random pattern - no artistic eye or thought needed! The more random the better!

I happen to have a light tan fabric, but if you use something like a navy, the more bleach you put on the lighter it will get so you can get some different shades depending on how much you layer your bleach.

Voila! A custom pillow in no time and no money spent! Let your pillow dry and maybe run it in the wash on a gentle mode so the bleach will not continue eating your fabric. I haven't had any problems with the bleach eating through this linen but when I did this with a cotton, it did start to get holes after a couple of months because I did not wash it afterwards. Whoops!

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/within.the.home/