New Look for an Outdated Piece

$50
1 Day

This piece was perfect in size, but pretty outdated and ugly. I painted this for a friend that wanted something fun. Besides the fun pop of color, it has a whole new look with just a few little extra touches.

Remove Hardware

Before

First things first.. that hardware had to go. Luckily the hardware I had chosen fit perfectly in the existing holes. Except for the top drawer which we drilled. The keyhole hardware still had a traditional look... so that had to go also.

I cleaned everything well using TSP mixed with water.

Fun new color!

Since I did not have this color in a chalk paint.. I went ahead and made my own. I used 2 tablespoons of plaster of Paris with an 1/4 cup of water mixed and shaken with a quart to go sample from Sherwin Williams.

Paint!

I painted the base of the dresser with two coats. Then let dry. I painted the top of the dresser with a white chalk paint.

Stamping the top

I purchased a set of barnwood stamps from IOD last year.. and couldn't have been happier because I can use them in so many ways. You just simply roll on your paint and stamp. So fun and easy with awesome results!

Seal and Distress

After I finish painting and was happy with my stamping.. I used sandpaper to Scuff the edges to give it a little bit of a worn look. Then went ahead and sealed everything with Retique It polyacrylic.

Making a new Keyhole

So that ugly keyhole also left an ugly mark on the dresser that unfortunately I was unable to fill with spackle successfully. So I pulled out molds that I had already purchased by IOD.. chose my favorite.. and used hot glue to create a new one.

Matching the new Hardware

Since my mold was clear, it went ahead and simply sprayed it with Rust-Oleum oil rubbed bronze paint. It matched the hardware I had chosen perfectly. Then after it was dry, I glued it right onto the dresser.

Finished!

My friend I loved how it came out. It doesn't even look like the same dresser anymore. Besides the new hardware making such a huge difference the color was definitely fun!

Finished Top

I wanted to show you the finished top. It broke up a little bit of that fun color without being boring.😁

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives

• Jerri

Absolutely love this! What color did you use on the barn wood stamps?

• Roberta

I believe I used black. Sometimes I use a dark gray also.

• Dorla Yuroshek

Love it! But I do have a question about the stamping. How do you get the top to not look like you’re stamping the same stamp in a row? For instance if the stamp is 6“ x 5“ wide and you use the same stamp over and over, how do you get it not to look the same?

• Roberta

It's an actual kit with multiple stamps. 3 longer wood grain type, knots and even the nails with lines. So I just use one of the 3 stamps in a row, then switch to another one for the next row and so on. It's so cool!

• Angel Carter

Thanks Roberta! What size are they?

• Roberta

Google IOD barnwood plank stamp and you can get the details. I am not a retailer for them, so I don't want to mix anything up. I just like them and use them ☺️

• Angel Carter

Absolutely beautiful!  Do you mind posting the website that you purchased the barnwood stamps? I Googled IOD barnwood stamps & so many different things came up. Thanks!

• Roberta

I bought them from a local retailer. There are a lot of retailers that sell them. Maybe look for one in your area?

• Patty

Turned out really pretty. Love the color. Really cool you can make your own little decorations!