How?

HomeroadBetsyVimarhonor
+6

how do you pick the right fibric for Aprons

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi Betty,

The right fabric for aprons depends on the purpose of who will be wearing them. Here's a link that will hopefully guide you on your choice:

https://blog.aprons.com/apron/apron-fabrics-choose/#:~:text=Apron%20Fabrics%2C%20How%20to%20Choose%201%20Cotton%2FMuslin%20%E2%80%93,a%20very%20long%20time.%20...%20More%20items...

• Betty Claus
      Betty Claus

i work in a retirement home, and they have to be white, and don't shirk ,or wrinkle, when i look on Amazon, they have unbleached fabric, which i order, that was triable

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

It depends what you are looking for, decorative apron or something more protective. I like a denim apron for the sturdy and protective nature of the fabric.

• For home use, cotton or cotton blend is a good choice. I've made a couple out of old jeans.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

You could go to a fabric store like Joann's and select a suitable material, the staff will guide you with what will work well for your job. No matter what you select, I would suggest you prewash the fabric before sewing.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I like to use cotton blend that will hold up to a lot of washes. You can spray the material with Scotchguard to help with wiping down to clean it which will reduce numbers of washes.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Choosing the fabric that will stand machine washing is important as well as one that you will find comfortable and protected.

Betsy

Hi Betty: Any fabric will do. A heavy cotton is usually best. Be sure to wash it first to remove the sizing and pre-shrink it. I made a 1/2 apron once and on the front I sewed a piece of brown fabric about 4" high and as wide as the apron to look like a shelf. Then I made fabric flower pots to put on the shelf and these flower pots were pockets:) It was really cute and was put up in the JoAnn Fabric store for months :) So many ideas you can do to create pockets :) Good luck

• Homeroad
    Homeroad

Many different fabrics will work. I've used cotton, canvas, or even vinyl.