Farmhouse Makeover on a Broken Mirror

$40

Do you have a good frame but broken mirror? Look for the potential! I created a new farmhouse feel on this one and repurposed it for many uses!

Before

I found this at a garage sale and immediately knew what I wanted to do with it!

I wanted to create a farmhouse look. So I went and got some of the hexagon chicken wire. I like this for the shape and for the twisted details.

Roll out the wire to for the frame. Depending on size, make sure you give yourself some extra on every end.

Tim snips will be the best tool to cut the chicken wire.

this frame was wooden, so I was able to staple the wire to the frame.

Center the shapes and get them straight as best you can. Start on one side and gently pull the opposite end as you staple. This will help make it tight all the way around and not look sloppy. It will also distribute weight better.

Trim up the edges without disrupting the security of the wire.

Front view.

Since this will be hung, the wire can scratch the wall. So I use duct tape to flatten either wire and protect the the wall.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I roll the roll of duct tape over what I just added the tape too. This will flatten the raised areas and let the tape stick to more areas.

Trim up the edges if necessary. You wouldn’t want the tape to show on any side.

Clean

Now clean the frame before painting.

This frame has some small detail, so I suggest using a q-tip or a tooth brush to get the crevices of the details of you have any.

Ready for paint

After you throughly clean the piece, let it dry. Then you can paint. Paint at least two coats depending on brand and color. I use DIY Paint and Finishes

Clear wax

After your paint has dried, time for wax. Use clear wax first and apply two coats of wax. Make sure to coat the entire piece. This will seal in the paint and allow for better application of black wax.

After the clear wax has dried, apply the black wax with a small artist brush. I focused on only the detailed areas.

Pay attention to lower areas as well, this is what’s going to give it depth.

Now wipe off the access black wax. I use a paper towel. Just wipe off the top and raised areas. This will leave the black wax in the lower areas of the detail making it pop!

Get too much black wax where you don’t want it? No worries just dip a clean paper towel in the clear wax and “erase” it. Here’s a a quick video of how it works.

Check out that detail! It’s aged perfectly in all the right areas.

Now it’s ready to hang up! Add pictures or jewelry or anything you want! I hope this inspires you to find those broken or thrown out pieces and create a one of a kind piece for your home!

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House

To see more: https://linktr.ee/r.e.picks

• Nancy K

Sorry, but what is black wax? I love the idea and the finished product. Your instructions were perfect too.