Turning Base Cabinets Into an Island

$300
1 Day

When we moved into our home the kitchen didn’t have a proper island. It was a “bar” that looked like it belonged on a patio. I always wanted an actual island with storage that fit the rest of the kitchen but didn’t want to spend the money on something already built.

Then I found these 3 base cabinets on FB Marketplace with a granite top, for $200!

Bonus I sold the other one for $150!

These were 3 base cabinets and one had all drawers which is exactly what I have been looking for. The plus side is they came with a beautiful slab of Granite, even though I will replace it when we get new countertops to match..I just don’t want granite.

So my mission was to make these base cabinets look like one cohesive piece in a beautiful island.

I used Luann board. It’s only 1/4″ which makes it the exact size to make the side of the cabinet flush. 

I used my jigsaw to cut the boards to size since the edges would be covered with trim. I used finishing nails to secure them to the cabinets front and back. 

For the trim I wanted a chunky traditional look. For the top and down the sides I used 1×4 pine boards and for the bottom I used 1×6. 

I cut the boards to length and for the corners where they met I used my table saw to bevel the edges to get a clean look. 

When all the trim pieces were on, I wanted to add detail to the bottom to make it look a little more robust. I cut the a few pieces of the 1×6 and added them to the bottom corners for a nice detail. 

After filling the screw holes with wood filler and sanding I painted the wood the same color as I did for  this cabinet in the dining room.

Benjamin Moore’s Advanced paint in Deep Space. 

I love the way it came out and I have so much more storage in then kitchen. We might add on to the island with a garbage pull out when we get new countertops for the kitchen, since we will also replace this granite that came with it.

What do you think?

15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Tara Boettger

• Julie

Did you paint the entire cabinet or just the backside and it matched the front.

• Flipturn

Take another look at the second picture, which shows the original colors of the side and back of the unit,

• Jill Krol

It looks really great. I think you did a fabulous job.

• Nancy Peterman

My son & dil did the same idea, but added a drop-leaf on the end by the dishwasher. Previously, theirs was a u-shaped kitchen with the dishwasher turned so it opened in front of the sink (what a dumb idea some contractor had). I think you have the same house as them! Great idea, beautifully executed!