Herringbone Accents

$80

After painting and updating the exterior of our house we were looking for a way to add some more modern accents. Here is what I did.

Step 1 determine size

After measuring the area where these would be installed I determined the measurements around 52 inches long and between 18-20 inches wide. Using 1x4 Cedar fence picket board I cut to length at 52inches. 6 boards side by side made up 22inches I decided to go with the for width.

Step 2 Start pattern

After cutting each piece down to length and laying out on work bench I then used the cutoff pieces to start my design. 6 boards made it pretty simple to find my center point. I aligned each piece starting at bottom corners to the center. Staggering for the herringbone pattern.

Step 3 Continue pattern

I then cut pieces to size and continued my pattern I had started securing each piece using a brad nailer and finishing nails. Continue this for the entire length of your boards.

Step 4 Cut flush

Once entire pattern has been complete I then turned the project over and cut all of the edges off flush using a circular saw. This keeps the time and guess work out of determining all of the angles in the beginning.

Step 5 Add frame

Using a table saw I ripped a few of the fence boards right down the middle. I used these pieces to make a frame/boarder around the edges. This section was also secured using brad nailed with slightly longer nails for a better hold.

Step 6 Finishing

At this point I lightly sanded all edges and entire front using an orbital sander and 180 grit paper. I then painted my from using an exterior black paint that was used on trim for the house. These are now mounted next to windows on the deck for a shutter look. May add some pots and flowers to these at a later date but definitely a nice touch all alone.

Step 7 Build another

Using slightly different measurements I made another one for the front of the house and attached our house numbers and mounted for a beautifully updated accent. Sky’s the limit with DIY

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels

• George

You didn't use sealant on the Cedar fencing boards you used for the herringbone pattern?????

• Mike

These are pressure treated they will be sealed after the season a few months

• Sharon

Approximately how much did this cost to make?

• V Smith

It says $80, 2 hrs. , and it is rated as 'Easy' at the top of the article.

• Scott Brown

What did you use as a backing to nail the pickets to?

• Mike

Once I laid the pickets out I just held them tight together and as I nailed all of the herringbone pieces in it tightened and secured everything in place. Then by framing it I was able to strengthen it even more