Glass Globe Fountain

$45
1 Day

A bubbler fountain is much less splashy and is a gorgeous way to bring the gentle, relaxing sound of water to an interior tabletop setting. With a couple of thrift store items, you can create this Glass Globe Fountain.

You’ll need (affiliate links on my blog earn proceeds that are donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations. THANK YOU for shopping here! ❤ )

* A glass globe from a light fixture – this one measures 25 inches around

* Frosted glass spray (since the glass is clear and the tubing will need to be hidden)

* Safety glasses

* A sturdy planter and drip tray – the drip tray should be able to sit inside the planter near the top and not fall down inside.

* A fountain pump

* Protective gloves

* Marine epoxy

* A marker

* Plastic tubing

* Decorative rocks

* A drill and three bits – one bit slightly larger than the tubing’s diameter, a small pilot hole sized bit, and a diamond bit slightly smaller than the tubing’s diameter.

* Spray paint

* Drop cloth

First, use the marine epoxy to seal any holes at the bottom of the planter. This type of epoxy will hold up underwater and stop leaks.

Use the drill and the bit slightly larger than the tubing’s diameter and create a hole in the center of the drip tray.

Then use the pilot hole bit to make small holes across the surface of the tray.

Find dead center at the top of the glass globe and mark it for reference.

The next step involves drilling into glass so please wear safety glasses to protect your eyes! ❤

Run a gentle stream of water on the spot where you’ll be drilling. Beginning at an angle, start the drill and carefully hold it steady as it starts to create a divot.

Once you have a bit of a divot, slowly straighten the angle out until you are drilling straight into the glass. Go slow, don’t apply too much pressure, and let the drill do the work. The water keeps the temperature down so the glass doesn’t crack.

I highly recommend using a cordless drill so you aren’t plugged into an electrical outlet while working with water. Also be careful not to get water on the drill itself. The bit will be fine but the drill should not be subjected to the water.

Spray paint both the planter and the drip tray. I’m using Rust-Oleum’s metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze.

If you have a clear glass globe, use a frosted glass spray to create an opaque effect so you don’t see the tubing inside. Since the outside of the globe will be in contact with water, I’m spraying the inside. Allow everything to dry according to the directions.

Work the tubing on to the pump’s adapter. Then attach the adapter to the top.

Place the pump and tubing in the bottom of the planter. Make sure the pump is on its lowest setting. The power cord should come out over the back.

Fill the planter with enough water to fully submerge the pump.

Run the tubing up through the hole in the center of the drip tray. This tray will fit either way but I’m placing it upside down to create a little more height for the globe. Make sure it sits level inside.

Work the tubing into the hole at the top of the globe. Since the hole is smaller than the tubing, it should be a snug fit and you won’t need any additional hardware to hold it in place.

Only a tiny bit should be visible on the top. The frosting spray nicely obscures the tubing inside.

Add decorative rocks to hide the drip tray and the bottom of the globe.

Once plugged in, the water should travel up the tubing, create a gentle bubbling effect on top of the globe, and trickle down in all directions. The holes in the drip tray allow the water to make it back down to the pump and cycle back up again. Add water as needed to keep the pump under water at all times.

Watch the step-by-step video tutorial here! Proceeds from this video (and the YouTube channel) are donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations. Please watch, like, share, and subscribe to help me raise donations for animals! ❤

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
OnTheFly...DIY

• Jean Illingworth

Do you always paint in high heels?

• Debbie Kirk

I love this! Would it require regular maintenance to prevent mold or mildew?

Also, as a change of decor, would it be a possibility to disguise the tubing with a floral arrangement, or line the globe with something to match your decor, like matching upholstery? I might also put something decorative on the outside the pot. Great idea!

• OnTheFly...DIY

Thank you! I clean mine out about once per month - we have high mineral content in our water so the clean out keeps everything running smoothly. So far, I haven't had any mold or mildew issues (but we also live in a dry environment). I would think anything that could withstand being exposed to water would totally work! If you try it, I would LOVE to see your finished project and see what you used! :)

• Heather

This could make an Kool drinking fountain for dogs!!! As shown in video for larger dog,but my mom has small dogs.

So my Q is how too make a smaller version of this ?

• Jamie Haas

I wouldn't recommend it as a drinking fountain for animals. They slobber and leave food deposits. I use a fountain made for animals and have to clean the stinky water and filter once a week!

• Sharon

Love this! Will a plastic drip tray do the trick?

• OnTheFly...DIY

I would say yes, as long as it's a strong plastic (strong enough to hold up the glass globe and rocks without buckling).

• KB

VERY COOL...you make it look sooooo easy!