Quick & Easy Flower Pot Makeover

$5

My dusty, faded faux terracotta flower pots are no more...

Turn those faded and tired flower pot containers into something beautiful again for your outdoor flower gardening spaces!

If you’re like me, you might have a stash of old, worn, and faded flower pot containers stashed away in an outdoor shed… that are just collecting dust and spider webs. Well, this year, I decided to rescue several of them, and give them a makeover with spray paint! I mean, a can of spray paint is sure cheaper than buying these super large-sized flower pot containers brand new!

That’s right… good ole’, handy dandy, spray paint! Over the years, my outdoor decorating color scheme has changed from brown/terracotta tones to blacks and grays. These blacks and grays all just coordinate much better with my new outdoor patio furniture set, my kids’ new above ground pool, the new roof and trim on my house, and much more! I love repeating colors in my decorating… therefore, it was time for me to say goodbye to the old, faded faux terracotta colors of my plastic flower pot containers!

Supplies Needed

Clean & Prep the Flower Pot Containers

Begin the flower pot makeover with a good cleaning. Wash, scrub, and dry the flower pot container(s) first! A good clean container will hold the  paint  much better than a dusty/dirty surface.

For my pot, I only painted the outside and the top 2-3″ of the top inside rim. The potting soil will be covering the remainder of the inside of your flower pot. So, think smart and conserve some of the  spray paint for the next pot! 

Depending on where you will be spray painting your flower pot container, you may need to protect the underlying surface. For me, I chose to paint mine outdoors, yet I did not want a painted spot to show up in my lawn or have grass marks around the bottom of my flower pot! So, I elevated my flower pot on top of an empty cardboard box. You can use a sheet of poster board, card board, plastic sack, etc. 

Also, be sure that you are aware that any over spray may land on any other objects that could be nearby… so be sure that you are far enough away from other objects as well!

Spray Paint the Flower Pot Container

Following the recommendations on the back of the  spray paint can, begin the fun part! This is where you will see the flower pot makeover truly begin to takeover! Depending on the color and coverage of the spray paint that you use, it may be best to apply a second coat for optimal results. If so, be sure to let the first coat dry completely before applying the second coat of spray paint. 

Show it off!

Now that your flower pot makeover with  spray paint is nearly complete, you can add your favorite combination of flowering plants to really show it off! I always enjoy fully planting my containers with a combination of my favorite flower annuals! The possibilities of color and bloom combinations can really strike a pose with your newly lookin’ flower pot container!

Add a few extras!

Who says we have to stop after adding the flower plants?! I love adding other elements too, for a super sweet touch to my outdoor decor. Items like solar lights, garden flags, tiki torches, garden statues, etc. are all excellent ways to add touches of whimsy to your flower container gardens!

Get creative and add your own spin to your old flower pot containers… then, share your photos with me in my  “Sweet Home DIY Crafting & Home Decorating” Facebook group!

Like this project? Want to get more home decor & crafting ideas sent straight to your inbox?

Then,  CLICK HERE  to sign-up for my Extra Sweet Decor Email!

My promise to you... no spam, ever!!! Only great ideas to make your home even sweeter than before!

~Tracey

Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
My Sweet Home

• Ticia

Were your pots plastic or resin? I have 2 of each which currently are holding a lot of soil and flowers. 2 of them are never emptied because they hold perennials but the other 2 could be emptied as they are plastic. I would love to paint them as you have but would not be able to do the interior except for possibly the very top. Any suggestions? they look great. TIA.

• My Sweet Home

Hi Tiscia,

My pots were plastic, but I’m sure this would work for resin pots too. Just check the spray paint that you choose to use and see if it recommends using on resin. Spray paint is so versatile, it really can be used on almost any type of material! Best of luck!

~Tracey 😊

• Celia Jennings Bolton

Can't believe I didn't think of this since I love spray paint. (Thinking now of all sorts of other plastic things to paint for planters - ex, those fairly large plastic containers you fill with ice & stick bottled & canned drinks in to keep them cold for an outdoor party or bbq - cheap at the dollar store & would make large planters.)

Tip - I've used one of the hammered looks in this same brand of paint as well as the oil rubbed bronze & found that sometimes if you spray paint another color 1st, then the decorative metallic paint (judiciously - in small, brief squirts), tiny bits of the under coat add an interesting finish. I used sprayed gold on an old, rusted birdbath, then the oil rubbed bronze, & instead of bits of gold actually showing thru, it gave more variation in shades here & there.

Any idea if this could be done on a terra cotta pot? Maybe spray a sealer 1st?

• Mary williams

I have painted terra cotta pots as well as plastic - just be sure to paint all of the inside to seal it to keep moisture from soaking in and coming up under the paint on the outside. Be sure to seal the entire pot with an exterior polyurethane to protect against the weather.

• SarahKetcher

I have done this with all my old pots and worn down resin urns. I like to sometimes try to make the pots that have been kilned spelling probably wrong sorry but I use one color then a brown sporadically near the top where any details are then come back around with a navy. I then use the super gloss. Btw I did my styrofoam urns years ago and didn’t use a gloss or anything and they have aged beautifully with my ferns. Tip If you want to do a already filled pot or urn use a shower curtain liner from DT to protect the plant and have a assistant work around the pot while you spray.

• Susan Antonition

Loving this whole project ESPECIALLY the light!!

thanks for sharing this 😊