Dollar Tree Pumpkin Makeover

$5

The Dollar Tree store is my new favorite "go-to spot" for fall DIY craft inspiration this year... have you seen the bright orange foam pumpkins there?! That's exactly what I am using for my fall-themed makeover craft today!

Supplies Needed

1. foam pumpkin (dollar tree)

2.  white paint

3.  mod podge

4. hot glue

5.  spanish moss (dollar tree)

6. craft brush

7. book pages (torn into pieces)

8. stick (for the stem)

Apply Base Coat of Paint on Pumpkin

Step 1:

Remove the stem and spray paint the pumpkin white.

This helps prevent the bright orange color from showing through your book pages later.

Prep Book Pages

Step 2:

Using several pages from a thrift store book, tear a stack of book page pieces.

My experience is that slightly smaller pieces work better at fitting the curves of the pumpkin, as opposed to larger pieces.

Apply Torn Pages to Pumpkin

Step 3:

Using a paint brush, start applying the mod podge to the surface of your pumpkin, in small areas at a time. Then, place your page pieces on the pumpkin, one at a time and brush a layer of mod podge over the pieces to adhere them to the pumpkin.

Completely Cover the Pumpkin Foam Form

Step 4:

Continue applying the  mod podge and book page pieces until your pumpkin is completely covered. The  mod podge will appear like white paint until it dries completely clear. Once the pumpkin is covered, let it dry completely.

Add Spanish Moss

Step 5:

Apply a circle of hot glue around the top (stem area) of the pumpkin and place a small bundle of Spanish moss for the stem to be placed into.

Add a "Stem"

Step 6:

In the bed of Spanish moss, place your “yard stick” down into the foam. It may help to stab the pumpkin slightly with your scissors to enlarge the opening for easier placement of the stick. 

That’s it! Now you have a fall farmhouse white pumpkin that may have cost you only about $2 and will make the perfect addition to a centerpiece, basket, bucket, coffee table vignette, shelf, or any fall display in your home decor!

Other ideas for your Dollar Tree Foam Pumpkin Makeover...

Other ideas for covering your pumpkins would be to use sheet music, black & white photos (photo copies), wrapping paper, paper napkins, scrapbook paper, burlap, fabric strips, etc. 

Get creative and add your own spin to your old flower pot containers… then, share your photos with me in my   “Sweet Home DIY Crafting & Home Decorating” Facebook group!

Like this project? Want to get more home decor & crafting ideas sent straight to your inbox?

Then,   CLICK HERE  to sign-up for my Extra Sweet Decor Email!

My promise to you... no spam, ever!!! Only great ideas to make your home even sweeter than before!

See you next time, sweet friend!

~Tracey

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
My Sweet Home

• Nancy K

Really pretty. Thanks! I think Dollar Tree has wrapping paper in various designs for the seasons. I wonder if they would have some Halloween gift wrap paper. It would be so cute on pumpkins.

• Dl.5660408

Sweet!