Dated Mirror Transformation

$10

When I saw this mirror on marketplace, I just knew that I had to have it and that I could make it look amazing! I loved the shape of it and structurally it was in very good condition. My original plan was to sand it down to bare wood, but I quickly realized that the frame was not made of solid wood. Read below to see what I ended up doing to transform this mirror!

Clean the mirror

As this was a second hand piece I was sure to give it a very thorough cleaning. I used a mild dish soap and a microfibre cloth to get any unwanted debris off the mirror.

Remove the frame from the mirror

The next step is to remove the frame from the mirror and give it a light sanding. You want to rough up the surface just a bit to give the paint something to grip on to. You could also just tape around the frame and leave the mirror intact, but for me it was just as easy to pop the mirror out.

Priming

Because the original finish was a dark red and gold tone, I wanted to give the mirror a few good coats of primer to prevent any bleed through. It would be a shame to spend all this time refinishing a piece only to have the original colour show through in the future.

Painting

Once the primer is dry you can go ahead and give your mirror a few coats of paint. I chose this neutral tone as I was unsure of where I wanted to hang this mirror so I didn’t want to be limited by the colour.

Adding some details

When it was all dry I was happy with the way it looked, but I felt that it was missing something. The mirror looked a little bland. I have so many of these little sample pots of paint around the house, so I thought I would experiment a bit. These little sample pots are perfect for projects like this and they are very affordable!

Dry brushing

The first thing I tried was to dry brush some white paint on the mirror frame. To do this you just take the smallest (and I mean smallest, like barely any) amount of paint on your brush and with a very light hand paint it on in one direction. I was so happy with how this looked I decided to stop there and leave it as is. It added just the right amount of interest and gave it almost the bare wood look I was originally going for.

The finished product

When the paint was all dry I assembled the mirror and hung it up. I absolutely love the way it turned out and sometimes when things don’t go as planned they end up turning out better.

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving