Beadboard Entryway Wall

$50

Beadboard (a type of wainscoting) definitely made it's debut in the 80s but I think it's here to stay! In 2020 it's showing up in pale, coastal neutrals and deep, moody colors to make a timeless statement no matter what your style is. What's better than a timeless way to make your entryway more functional?? Doing it yourself and for less than $50!! This was a quick afternoon project that requires minimal materials (especially if you get the wood cut at your hardware store).

Before

Here's what my boring front door "entryway" looked like before this project! It's not much of an entryway but I knew this little wall had potential and with a new pup at home, I wanted to created a space for his leash, our raincoats, and other necessities that we're now quickly grabbing as we head out the door.

Materials

There are only a few essentials for this projects! The white sheet you see in the background here is the beadboard. Yes, it comes by the sheet (and is likely made of MDF)! The piece of wood across the top is a 1x4 pine (this is a good size if you're adding hooks to the wall). You may also want a piece of trim for the bottom, depending if your beadboard is sitting on top of a baseboard. Mine sits on top of a radiator so I used a 1x2 to create a more finished look. You'll want the wood filler and caulk shown here to fill seams and nail holes after your beadboard and trim goes up.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Nail 1x2 and beadboard to wall

Use a finish nailer to attach bottom trim piece (1x2) and beadboard to the wall after cutting them to size (it can be hard to cut the sheet of beadboard at home depending on your tools so getting it cut at the store is a good idea if you can measure ahead). You could also use screws or liquid nails to attach these pieces to the wall, depending what tools you have available.

Level 1x4 and nail to wall

Before attaching your top piece (1x4), make sure it is level (don't assume the top cut of the beadboard is perfect). It's okay if there's a small gap between the top of the beadboard and the this trim piece, you can fill that with caulking.

Caulk seams and fill nail holes

Use the materials shown in the second photo to fill the seams and nail holes. Caulking is for the places where wood meets wood and wood filler is for nail holes. Lightly sand over the wood filler once it's dried!

Paint and add hooks

I bought four hooks from Lowe's and screwed them into the top trim piece to make this space more functional. If you're just looking to create an accent wall, call it a day after you paint! You could also add a 1x2 (or 1x3 or 1x4) to your top trim piece to create a small shelf!

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home

• Rudy
    Rudy

i may try this for the same reason. Thank you for sharing.

Lynne

• Bessie B
    Bessie B

Great idea I moving to a different house and didn’t quite know what to do to the boring entryway now I have ideas