How do I repair oak stained cabinets white?

Kathy Gunter LawDeb KKim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable
+8

William

Do you want to paint the cabinets?

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20cabinets

• Homeroad
    Homeroad

If you are thinking of repainting your cabinets they will first need to be cleaned really well. I'd use a TSP cleaner and do it well. Next decide on a paint, either a primer and then a paint or use one of the chalk paints that are out there now. I've had great luck with Fusion Mineral Paint. I would not use wax to seal my cabinets, I would use a heavy sealer.

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

Hi Mindy, If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to paint your oak cabinets white? Your end product depends on the prep!!!!!! Believe me it matters!!!! You could strip it first. Or if you are just going to paint again, you could sand it smooth and primer it. Then I would steel wool or lightly sand again before you add your paint coats to get that super smooth finish.

Since it is oak you may want to fill the grain. Use a product like this to fill the oak grain: https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Coat-Cabinet-Filler-Environmentally/dp/B07HQY2PF6/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?crid=20Q1AHZZ9XLBN&keywords=aqua+coat+grain+filler+cabinet&qid=1556719316&s=gateway&sprefix=aqua+coat+g%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Check out this video on that.

How To Fill Grain In Wood. OAK Kitchen Cabinet Makeover. - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iserH1H_rw

Then prime with a good primer like Benjamin Moore.

ALSO...the paints are a huge factor for kitchens and bathrooms. You will want to use something super heavy duty for that kind of traffic! If you are putting the time in to prep them well and paint them well you will want a good paint that will last. Benjamin Moore ADVANCE!! $50 per gallon but it's so worth it!!! That paint is an excellent cabinet paint and you don't need a topcoat. I seriously just wipe it down when it gets dirty. If you can use a sprayer with this paint....even better. Anyway, hope this helps.

• Prep is the key to painting cabinets. Clean them well and use a good primer. Visit your local hardware or home improvement store for a paint that is made just for cabinets.

• Unexpected Elegance
    Unexpected Elegance

What specifically needs repaired? Do you mind adding a photo?

• Em
    Em

Looks like people are having a hard time understanding what you want to do. We do not know what is in need of repair. Can't tell if they are cracked or you want to paint or restain. Rephrasing what you want in the form or a new sentence or two would help. If one is broken you can use wood glue. If you want to paint lightly sand and paint.

• If the paint is chipping and you can see the oak stain through it, you can just spot paint...maybe sand if necessary or fill the cracks with wood filler then paint. Paint pens are awesome for this job.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Mindy, you will need to either strip or sand to get them back to original color , try this method first, hope it helps you, To remove stain dampen a soft, fine-grade steel-wool pad with paint stripper and rub it against the wood, following the wood grain, then wipe off the softened stain with a rag. If the stripper requires rinsing, use the method the manufacturer recommends. Repeat until all stain is off.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Clean and sand the damaged area. I normally use wood putty that matches the original wood tone. Once it is dry, you can paint it white to match. However, you will not be able to stain it in the future.