Easy DIY How To: Paint a Half Round Shape on a Wall

$20

Who would've thought it would be so easy to paint cool shapes on your walls?! This super fun DIY will spruce up any dull interior in an hour!

Pick your wall

So my hand is forced, it's time, after seven years, to do the main stair. My husband has put his foot down, "no new major projects until it's done!" That's fair.

To start, I repainted the walls with one of the most awesome colors ever invented, Classic Teal by Valspar. What. A. Color. Wow.

But the transition from the stair to the upstairs hall was a weak game so out of nowhere came the idea to paint a half moon shape to tie the two together better.

Measure your radius

This process is sooo super easy and takes practically no time at all to do; you can let your arc shape imagination run wild and transform room in a snap.

Start by finding your center point if you were painting a full circle. Take out your tape measure and stretch it out to find your half round radius, in my case 2'-7".

Be sure to swing by the blog, Flipping the Flip, for more info on this project as well as so many other fun ones!

Make your arc maker

Next, find a lightweight piece of wood that's long enough. In my case, I used a wood lath slat which you can pick up at the home improvement store for cheap. Or use a yard stick even.

Drill a small hole and put through a pointy thing like a screw or a nail.

Measure from the center of that hole out to your radius hole, mark it, and drill a 1/4" hole for a pencil. Make sure the pencil hole is loose enough for the pencil to get in there but tight enough that the pencil does not move.

Yes, you can use string and a pencil but I find the pencil has too much room to wiggle that way.

Draw your half round shape

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, put the sharp point on your center marker, hold firm, then sweep your drawing tool around to draw the shape. It's so easy to do, I did it one handed while holding a camera!

Cut in the edge with paint

This is the only tricky part. Because it's a curve, painters tape is out so you need a steady hand to cut in the paint edge. Go slow. Practice many times first if need be, but trust me, you can do this. Slow and steady.

Fill in the field areas

Once all the edges are done, just fill in the rest with a roller!

Enjoy!

Tada! Now the transition between the stair and the hall makes much more sense. Until my husband saw it and suddenly had another idea (that's coming soon).

Can't resist the full story on this project? Me neither, so come swing by to read more!

20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Gale O'Neal

Saw whole picture on your site. What is going on with the corner of the floor? were you also laying laminate?

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

To the left in the photos? That’s our stair that I’m working on redoing, tearing up the carpet. It’s down to the construction grade wood there. Thanks for stopping by!

• Val

I love this. It looks awesome.

• Burnadette

I'm not a "do on impulse" type of person, but I think I'm about to get up from my desk (wfh) and head to the paint store and do this for my main hallway wall! Love this and thank you for the inspiration! 🤗