Help designing corner patio?!

Cheryl AKathy Gunter LawDeb K
+26

Hi! What can I do with this horrifically ugly corner? Some kind of flat stone flooring? Raised gardens? Sitting area? Water feature? Somehow on a budget? That’s a doggy run to the garage on the left... that our dog doesn’t really use. Ideas?!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

It looks a bit too sunny for a seating area now - but maybe a gazebo or pergola would be a good starting point?

• Chrissy

You are right, it gets really sunny and hot and DRY in Colorado summertime. So that is a very good thing to remember. A gazebo! I like that idea.

• Homeroad

It looks like a perfectly sunny corner of your yard. I would plant a garden, maybe vegetables? It looks like you have a good start, can you make it larger?

• I'm picturing something like this in the back:

• Chrissy

This is SO cute! I was thinking a little metal bistro set like this, too!

• I think you have room for all of it. I would put pavers down in the corner and place a seating area with an umbrella there for shade. I would plant perennials so they come back every year and flower at different times of the season and I would add a small water feature. We bought a pond at Kmart for less than $100 and bought fish at Petsmart for less than .15 each and they are happy and huge a few years later.

• Chrissy

Oh I love the idea of sticking some perennials back there. I am a fan of not having to replant and they just show up next year! :). I'm glad to hear you guys talk about potential of an inexpensive water feature! And pavers! I didn't even know what that was until now! Thank you!!

• Mogie

I would begin by painting or staining the inside of the fence. Providing a nice back drop for what you add to the area.

A shade cloth strung over the area would provide some shade. Here is a link:

https://www.hometalk.com/9787584/how-to-make-a-shade-sail?expand_all_questions=1

Adding a water feature would give the area some design, cool it down and provide a soothing sound.

https://www.hometalk.com/44252737/how-to-make-a-fountain-for-under-50?expand_all_questions=1

Cinder block benches would be inexpensive and add needed seating:

https://www.hometalk.com/22757396/free-cinder-block-porch-bench?expand_all_questions=1

• Mogie

Forgot to mention this before but Amazon.com has a huge selection of outdoor wall art that really dresses up a plain old fence. You really need to check this out I have fallen in love with the large lady bugs. Just type outdoor wall art into the search bar and be prepared for some adorable results.

• Chrissy

Mogie, love the fence art idea! Since we have a strict HOA staining regulation we are stuck with the dove grey color stain but we have actually talked about getting some cute fence art so, I might just do this! I saw the lady bugs, omg, how cute!

• Patty

On a budget: pull out all the rock. Get pallets for free and pull them apart. Make a ground level deck buy placing the pallet boards down. Do a herrington pattern for interest. Paint the fence. Shop Next Door and Craigslist for free or lowcost planter pots, lanterns, a firepit (although you will need to make a brick underlay for a fire pit). Get outdoor furniture but do that soon as many places have already sold out. Do not try to do it all in one year, but add a new feature each year.

• Chrissy

Good idea on being patient and do little by little! I'm eager to rip the whole thing out and start over... of course.. once my garden is done giving me veggies. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

• Cindy

Hi Chrissy. I like the idea of a walkway with stepping stones around your center garden. You can save $$ by making the stepping stones yourself. The center garden area could be replaced with some sort of fountain. Use a solar water pump, for under $20 on line, and you could make the fountain yourself too. Then lay down some sod around the outside Your space has so much potential. Have fun creating.

• Chrissy

I actually was thinking of the making my own stepping stones idea! Could be fun and unique! I didn't even know there's an option of DIY solar water feature! Cool! Looking into it! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Johnavallance82

Hello Chrissy,

I would set an Arbour in the corner. Trellis on fence panel with climbers on each. Set Stepping stones into the gravel. Clear the weeds. Use bricks or plastic edging or Railway sleepers to define the central area. Place in the centre of that a Birdbath or solar fountain and top up the soil and add plants to taste. Enjoy your garden!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Hi Chrissy, I think you have a great area to work with and feel like you can do a lot to that space to make it enjoyable. When we were working on our backyard, I got a ton of landscaping stuff for free. I posted on my fb and asked friends and family to keep me in mind when they were getting rid of landscaping materials. I also looked on craigslist and found that people were always giving away their extra stuff, so keep an eye open for that. I got paving stones for a walkway, pavers for a large garden bed, trees, plants and gravel all for free.

There are tons of great ideas here if you want to scroll through these other hometalker's ideas:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=Outdoor%20Spaces

• Chrissy

This is a great idea! I'll for sure do this once I figure out the materials I need to start out with! Thank you, Holly!

• Deb K

Hi Chrissy, if you are not using the dog run, take that fence down to open up the area, You already have rock, so you could put stepping stones or path stones in a formation, then put a fountain in the very corner, and table & chairs on the patio stones, you could even add a couple of raised planters or shrubs/perennial right in the ground for some bursts of color and greenery. You can add any and all decor you like including a fire pit, get creative! Hope these pics help you out!

• Kathy Gunter Law

The first thing I would do is stain the fence. It has a very dull appearance. Remove the dead shrubbery. Add some stepping stones, round ones will soften the look. Fire pit or water feature would be nice. You could put down an outdoor rug with a few chairs.

• Chrissy

Hi Kathy! Thank you! I like these ideas! I didn't even think that rounder stones would soften it, I love it! Thank you!

• Cheryl A

Chrissy

you could build a deck flooring over the stones and it could be stained or painted here is the how to on this pr oject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XImjl3-6TbI