Green & Stenciled Hutch Makeover

$60

I found this hutch at one of my favorite thrift stores. The drawers were ornate (I’m a sucker for ornate furniture) and I saw the potential it had to be a real stunner with a makeover so I brought it home with me and got to work.

I loved the hardware so I decided it just needed a good polishing and I decided on a green chalk paint for the entire piece and to stencil the back!

I used Brasso and steel wool to polish up the brass hardware. It’s a huge difference and I knew with the painted green hutch it would add just the right touch.

The back of this hutch was just stapled on. I find it easiest to work with by removing it. This way I can paint the inside of the hutch easier and it will be easier to stencil with it off too.

I painted the entire back in a white chalk paint. I found this stencil at Hobby Lobby.

So here is the back entirely stenciled. Doesn’t it look like wallpaper? It isn’t! Ha.

What a difference! Love it so much now.

Close up of that stenciling detail

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home

To see more: //instagram.com/pickedandposhed

• CukaFig

Hi , I have my grandmas , and i think I’ll liven up the interior a bit like yours . I love what you did with yours!

• Kris

I have a piece similar to yours, mine has the plastic moulded doors on the base. Will the plastic take the chalk paint as nicely as the rest of the piece?

• Joy

Would you know of a way to remove the "scroll" designs on the drawers? I have a bookcase with similar wood scrolling at the top - and would so love to have it gone...any suggestion?

Fabulous job - looks great!

THANKS!

• Melody Boling Medlock

Joy and Clare I would love to have the pieces you are removing. I'm sure several people would. There are a lot of things you can do with them. I would be happy to give you my email address. I would even pay for the postage.

• Melody Boling Medlock

Your piece turned out beautifully. I have one in my garage that a neighbor just gave me. The only thing wrong with it are scratches from where they had previously placed and removed the top piece. I want to refinish it but I can't get past trying to decide on the color. I know I want to make it two-toned with wood and paint. Like Debbie Alexander Peak commented, I am really over seeing everything painted white or gray. Anyway, your work is beautiful. Great job and thanks for sharing.

• Liz

I've been looking for a specific green for a door. What brand and color did you use with this?

• Patsy47

ck the resource list...its ALL there....brand and color...