Outdoor fabric can be pricey and I didn't need a lot so I opted for a cheaper alternative and made a trip to my local Dollarama for a clear table protector and an indoor outdoor table cloth.
Footstool Face Lift
I spend a lot of time on my deck in the summer. It is my go to place to read and relax every evening. The only problem is there is nothing to literally put my feet up on. I always end up dragging my table over to wherever I am sitting. I have had an old foot stool sitting in my basement for years. I imagine at some point and time I had good intentions of doing something with it but honestly it was forgotten about until now. I decided to make it an outdoor foot stool for under $10!!
So I opted for this bright blue. If you seen any of my posts on my outdoor furniture you will notice that everything is teal and turquoise with splashes of yellows and reds. So I wanted something to match.
To prep this project I had to remove the legs and the material that was covering it. This was the most daunting part as there were a lot of staples. I removed them using a knife to pry them up and a pair of needle nose pliers.
One hour later.... And I am ready to begin recovering.
Step One for Recovering
I am using this plastic table protector to cover the foam on the stool. It will prevent it from getting soaked from the rain. (If we ever get any.. it's been a very dry summer so far)
Measuring and Cutting
I placed the table protector over the foot stool and cut to fit. I left the protector folded so there is two layers.
I turned the foot stool upside down with plastic underneath. Pulling the plastic tight I began stapling in place going around the foot stool. This doesn't have to be perfect as it is just to protect the foam from getting wet.
Step One Complete
So here is the foot stool complete and ready for the fabric.
So I did the same thing as before, by placing the fabric over the stool and cutting material to desired length.
Flip over stool with fabric underneath and using a staple gun pull material tight and begin to staple fabric in place. Going around both sides. I left the short ends for last.
Next was to secure the ends. Again pull material taunt and staple. I secured in middle and left the ends.
I folded the corner and stapled in place. Repeat on all 4 sides.
This is what it looks like underneath.
Here is the stool covered. I'm no upolsterer, but I'm pleased with the job I did. Next it was time to reattach the legs. I thought of painting them, but for now I am going to leave them.
Foot Stool Complete!
Here is my foot stool redone. Love this color!
Just wanted to show you what happens when water is poured on it. The water sits on top and rolls off the material.
Time to put my feet up and relax. I love how this turned out. Overall it was an easy project. The most time consuming was removing the old staples, but well worth it.