Concrete Planter Box DIY

$30

Anyone else creating super expensive decor for way less? It's like a fun game for me to see how much I can save by recreating designer sequels decor. This project inspiration comes from Pottery Barn. As soon as I saw their version of a long concrete planter box I know I needed it for my patio makeover!

The only time I have worked with concrete is when I made a workbench for our garage renovation. So this project felt like a little extra challenge but I am so glad I went for it & you will be too! Did I mention it saved me $100 😉

Supplies

• 1 Bag of Quikrete Concrete Mix
  • WD40
  • Scrap Plywood
  • Black Silicone Caulk
  • Garbage bag

Making The Molds

First, the molds need to be made. You will need to make 2, one for the main mold & the second will create the middle planter portion.

Making The Molds

Start by making the large box. Mine is 3′ long & 5″ wide 6″ tall. The second smaller box should be 2 inches shorter in length & width than your first box.

Attaching The Boxes

These boxes are made out of scrap wood & held together with nails.

Two Molds

This is how your two molds should look!

Sealing The Boxes

After the boxes are made its time to seal all the edges with caulk. 

TIP: Make sure the caulk is 100% silicone, this is super important for the concrete to turn out correctly.

Spraying The Molds

Once the caulk dries spray the mold with WD40. This will keep the concrete from sticking to the mold.

Wrapping The Inner Mold

Wrap the second mold in a garbage bag to help it unbox easier.

Mixing The Concrete

Follow the instruction on the bag when mixing the concrete. Using a plastic bucket is the easiest way to mix large batches at one time. For the amount, I needed it took an entire 80-pound bag of Quikrete.

Mixing The Concrete

The consistency should be similar to pancake mix & yes I absolutely did FaceTime my dad to make sure it looked right to him 😅

Adding The First Layer

Start by adding the first layer into the big mold. It should be about 1″ deep.

Adding The Second Box

Once the initial layer is poured, add your second smaller box & fill in the edges with concrete. It looks messy because it is messy. Honestly, this is about how it looks when I try & make pancakes too 😆

Sanding The Planter

After you unbox your mold its time for the fun part, sanding. Use a 220 grit sanding block to knock off any imperfections or extra concrete.

Sealing The Planter

Once its nice & smooth, seal it according to how you are going to use it. Mine will be used outdoors so I am using Helmsman Spar Urethane.

Adding Moss

This concrete planter is going to be so versatile & can be filled with lots of fun stuff! My first plan is to add moss to it & display it on the $100 outdoor dining table we just built!

Adding Foam Blocks

These foam plant blocks are perfect for hot gluing these sheets of moss onto. Plus they will be easy to remove later when I am ready to add something new.

Hot Glue The Sides

Start by adding hot glue to the sides of the foam blocks to connect them all together.

Adding Moss To Foam Blocks

Next, add hot glue to the top & apply moss. Be careful not to burn your fingers when pressing down on the moss!

Ta-Da

Completed Planter

How Cool Does This Look?!

How cool is this planter y'all! It is exactly what I had envisioned for this tables centerpiece & even though we had 1 failed attempt it was totally worth it! I can't wait to dress it up with different things for the holidays & seasons.

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Lia with Southern Yankee DIY

• Jodi

Can you reuse your molds? If so, how do you clean them for subsequent uses? This is awesome! I love it, but want several 😜

• Hi Jodi! You can absolutely reuse the molds & just scrape any excess concrete out with something like a flat head screwdriver. They come out pretty clean so there shouldn't be much to clean!

• Mary Coakley

Pretty cool indeed.well done

• Leslie

Well done thank you for sharing your project. I must add to your post which I didn't see in the directions. If someone makes this or similar and decides to use real plants you must leach the chemicals out of the cement first. Fill the cement planter up with water and continue to use water in it for a few weeks. Some say you do not need to cure the cement this way but most I have read do. After the curing just get a cement drill bit and make holes in the bottom for drainage, or when you de-mold it make the holes in the bottom

. :)