DIY Vintage Pottery Made From Upcycled Vase

$10

Do you love the vintage pottery trend? In this tutorial, learn 2 different methods for making your own upcycled vase that looks like antique stoneware!

If you love this project, be sure to subscribe to our blog to receive updates regularly!

Upcycled Vase #1 (Spray Paint + Dirt)

So let’s jump right into the first vase tutorial. On this clear glass vase I’m going to be using the spray paint & dirt method.

Step 1: Clean vase.Works best to clean with rubbing alcohol on a cotton round right before starting the DIY to remove any grim or oils from the surface.

Step 2: Spray vase with white primer. Let dry.

Step 3: Spray vase with flat black spray paint. Let dry.

Step 4: Cover with dry, sandy dirt once the first coat is dry. Rub very lightly so you can scratch the surface.

Step 5: Spray vase with more black spray paint & add dirt. I attempted to spray the spray paint and gently toss the dirt onto the vase as the paint was still tacky. Check out the video below for more details. Let dry.

Step 6. Spray vase with sealer.

Ta DA! Didn’t it turn out so cute?

Upcycled Vase #2 (Textured With Joint Compound + Paint + Dirt)

Just a reminder, here’s what the thrifted vase looked like before. 

Step 1.1: Repeat steps 1 & 2 from above tutorial.

Step 1.2: Rub vase with joint compound. Let dry.

Step 1.3: Another coat of joint compound & add dirt after it has dried a little bit but is still tacky (like about 30 minutes after applied)

Step 1.4: Paint with craft paint mixed with dirt.

Step 1.5: Finish with spray sealer.

Doesn’t it look amazing? I LOVE the texture on this one! It looks just like real vintage pottery, don’t you think?

If you love this vase makeover and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of my DIY tutorials in the archives here!

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• 1cs1267

Do you think Rustoleum spray paint would work?!?!?! I have LOTS of dirt so no problem with that "supply"!!!!!

• Lora

Who would do that to what looked like a Celadon vase? (Wish pictures were more informative.) Was it Korean? I love the technique, but not at the expense of other art.

• MJ

If it was and she wanted to undo it that's not too hard luckily! I know nothing about vases, but if it was and expensive work of art luckily she can easily restore it by soaking it in water until the spackle starts to break down( shouldn't take too long) lucky that was the drywall compound one and not the spray paint one!

• Andi Austin Cromeans

I love this idea, but I don't need any more dark colors in this house! How do you think Vase #1 would come out using a lighter color?

• Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

I'm sure it would look good!! You'll have to play around with how much dirt to add etc until you get a look that you're happy with.

For Vase #2 with joint compound, you can skip the paint step and just leave the joint compound for a lighter look. I actually just tried a lighter on this week. I haven't taken pictures of it quite yet, but I'll posting to Instagram sometime next week. It turned out great! https://www.instagram.com/makingmanzanita/

• Carol Calhoun

Try using some coffee grounds for texture

• Doreen Kennedy
    Just now

Great idea to use cheap glass floral vases rather that throwing them away. I use joint compound and other materials to add texture to lamps and cheaper pottery. I just donated a bunch of clear glass vases. I think I’ll try your technique next time my husband brings home a clear glass vase of flowers.