DIY Vintage Pottery Made From Upcycled Vase

10 materials
$10

Do you love the vintage pottery trend? In this tutorial, learn 2 different methods for making your own upcycled vase that looks like antique stoneware!

If you love this project, grab your quick start DIY guide & subscribe to our blog!

Upcycled Vase #1 (Spray Paint + Dirt)

So let’s jump right into the first vase tutorial. On this clear glass vase I’m going to be using the spray paint & dirt method.

Step 1: Clean vase.Works best to clean with rubbing alcohol on a cotton round right before starting the DIY to remove any grim or oils from the surface.

Step 2: Spray vase with white primer. Let dry.

Step 3: Spray vase with flat black spray paint. Let dry.

Step 4: Cover with dry, sandy dirt once the first coat is dry. Rub very lightly so you can scratch the surface.

Step 5: Spray vase with more black spray paint & add dirt. I attempted to spray the spray paint and gently toss the dirt onto the vase as the paint was still tacky. Check out the video below for more details. Let dry.

Step 6. Spray vase with sealer.

Ta DA! Didn’t it turn out so cute?

Upcycled Vase #2 (Textured With Joint Compound + Paint + Dirt)

Just a reminder, here’s what the thrifted vase looked like before. 

Step 1.1: Repeat steps 1 & 2 from above tutorial.

Step 1.2: Rub vase with joint compound. Let dry.

Step 1.3: Another coat of joint compound & add dirt after it has dried a little bit but is still tacky (like about 30 minutes after applied)

Step 1.4: Paint with craft paint mixed with dirt.

Step 1.5: Finish with spray sealer.

Doesn’t it look amazing? I LOVE the texture on this one! It looks just like real vintage pottery, don’t you think?

If you love this vase makeover and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of my DIY tutorials in the archives here!

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 7 questions

Comments

2 of 27 comments
Next