How To Re-Purpose A Chandelier

$20

When planning our DIY Greenhouse, I knew I’d want a fun chandelier to hang inside. As luck would have it, I found a great brass chandelier, that was begging to be re-purposed, at a Thrift Store. Since it was only $10 and I had some saved crystals, It was easy to transform into a DIY Solar Light Fixture.

GATHER YOUR SUPPLIES TO PAINT YOUR CHANDELIER

First, remove any removable parts and find a place that you can spray paint all the pieces that you plan to use with the chandelier. I used Krylon Chalky Finish Spray Paint in Classic White because I wanted a white light fixture. I have found that chalk paint will adhere to the slick brass surface much easier than some spray paints.

• Chandelier – Thrift Store
  • Crystals
  • Chalk Spray Paint (Krylon Chalky Finish Classic White)
  • Solar Lights – Dollar Tree

If you can find a way to hang the light fixture, you will be able to spray paint the entire piece without moving it to a different position.

Lay out all the removable parts and give them a light coat of paint. Chalk paint will dry quickly, allowing your to flip the pieces for another coat on the back side.

Once the paint is completely dry, you can begin to add crystals to your chandelier. Since the thrift store light fixture didn’t include crystals, it was necessary to punch a hole into the rim. Now use a large nail, hammer and a block of wood to protect your surface. Because the metal on this fixture is fairly thin, it was an easy task to punch a small hole.

Fortunately, I had a supply of vintage crystals that I’d been saving for just such a project. If you don’t have a supply of crystals, you can order replacement crystals or check with Etsy or other online vintage sales sources that offer crystals for sale.

You will want to space your punch holes evenly around the circumference of the rim because you want the weight of your crystals to be evenly split. Due to the number of crystals, it was necessary to place two larger crystals across from each other and two smaller also across from each other to give each cup balance.

First, remove the wires and bulb holder from your chandelier. Begin by clipping the wires, with wire cutter’s, and then unscrew the holder from the fixture. Finding these crystal like solar lights for just a $1.00 each was a perfect choice.

In order to get the solar lights to attached securely to the fixture, it is necessary to use the pipe attachment that is provided with the light. Most of these are approx. 6 inches long and therefore, will result in a very tall light. Since I wanted the light to sit closer to the cup, I cut the pipe approx. 1 1/2 inches long. This still allows the solar light to fit into the pipe, as it was designed to do, and left enough room for the other end of the pipe to attach to the chandelier cup.

Note: Each Light Fixture will be different and all the fittings may not work exactly as described, therefore, you may need to add some adhesive or additional fittings to attached the solar lights to the fixture.

You will want to hang your solar chandelier in an area where the solar lights will receive enough sunlight to charge the batteries. Fortunately, the greenhouse allows enough light to keep the solar chandelier burning night. See how to make this Apothecary Cabinet here.

The combination of the crystals and the crystal like design of these Dollar Tree Solar Lights give the Chandelier a fun, elegant feel. We have had so much fun making items for the greenhouse. See the details of the windows potting table here.

Everything Red For Canada Day
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

• Vikki Swanson

First if all I totally love your greenhouse. I just recently had mine built this May. Do you have any suggestions on how you can cool down your house. I have a vent and a vent with fan and still can’t maintain anything lower then 100 during the day

• Nicole Dian Mitchell-Capers

I had the same issue with mine, living in texas makes it hard for temperature regulation. I have 3 windows, a Dutch door, 2 gable vents and 2 shop fans going... and i was still having 100° to 120° Temps in there... so essentially what I did was remove some of the plastic sheets off the side and put up goat panels to help keep critters out as well as putting shade cloth in there... its help tremendously and now the temperature in there is now the same as outside. When the cooler Temps come back all I have to do is put the plastic panels back up

• Nardene

Can you show it light up?

• Raquel G

I just want to say your chandelier idea is awesome and really classy. I am though in love with your working shed! Do you have any posting on it?

• Chanda Elaine Hughes

Love it . I have 2 old chandeliers that are now going to get a remake.

• Amy Jo Olson

I absolutely LOVE your structure! We have similar taste for sure! I have been talking about adding a chandelier to my garden shed. My husband thought I was nuts, but I think this would be perfect to add! This structure will serve purpose as a greenhouse in the spring, then a place to hang out for the rest of the summer and fall. We have too much snow in the winter to really spend a whole lot of time out there. (Minnesota here.) It's not quite done, but it will be fantastic when it is! Here is a photo of what I have so far.

• So my gosh. How cute. Yes I feel the same. Mine will store plants in the winter and new growth in the spring. Then just a she shed the rest of the year. Thanks for stopping by!

Rachel.