Planter Box

$50

I recently purchase some bee bombs - wild flowers that help the bees & needed a planter box so I decided to make my own!!!

Drawer

So I had this left over from a wardrobe and decided to make it into a planter box

Legs

Again I’d this leftover in the shed so I said I’d use it!!

Its 14 inches so I marked 3.5 inches

Marked

I marked it & used the saw all the way around it - sawing in about 2mm to help the jigsaw cut it

Jigsaw

Used this to cut the legs

4 legs cut!

Up close of the legs

hammer in the screw a bit, then screw it in a few millimeters to make it easier to screw it into the drawer

Reinforced

I used a pallet panel to give added strength to the bottom!!

The legs are attached!

Drainage holes

I used a large screw to make holes in the bottom of the drawer to let excess water out!!!

Stapler for the lining!!

I used a plastic bin liner!

Start at the top - leaving a couple of centimeters so you don’t see the plastic when the soil goes in!!!

Fully Lined!

Sanding

I have misplaced my sanding block - so I just used a piece of wood instead!

Wrap the sandpaper around it! And your ready to go!!!

Sand

sand

sand

Brush of the excess dust before staining!!!

Staining!!

We bought this for our gate and fence so I said I’d try it on the box first and see what it’s like!

Originally I’d used a decking brush but it was soaking up the oil so I changed to a smaller brush!

Handles are off!! To stain the front

Fully stained!! Happy with the colour

Screwing the handles back on!!

Ta Daaa!!! Finished

Fully finished & planted now I need them to grow !!

• Drlucille

How did you incorporate drainage into the drawer?

• Leeanne

I Drilled Holes in the bottom and then put the plastic on and pierced the plastic so it matches the holes

• Becky

Don't you mean Bee Balm?

• Carole White

I've heard of these "bombs". It seems like the supplier has mixed up a batch of various seeds that attract bees, and rolled them up with dirt or something; hence the name "bee bomb"

• Leslie

Well done, thank you for sharing your process! I must ask though how the heck do you do work like that with those nails lol?

• Leeanne
      4 minutes ago

Haha thanks leslie !! They are my own nails so I’m use to them and also I’m a nail tech so I can fix them in I chip them

• Becky

Interesting. I have Bee Balm in my flowerbeds. I've never heard of bee bombs. I appreciate you me mentioning them. I may give them a try.

• Leeanne
      6 minutes ago

That’s what they are called in Ireland maybe it’s the same as bee balms?

• Patsy47

lovely job!! and super attractive too! well done,you!!